Predict Who Plays Florida State for the National Title

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Dec 2, 2013.

?

Who will play FSU for the BCS National Title Game?

Poll closed Dec 7, 2013.
  1. Ohio State

34.5%
  2. Auburn

41.4%
  3. Missouri

24.1%
  1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

To make things simple, I am going to assume FSU takes care of business vs Duke.

So who will they end up playing?

Ohio State (2) vs Michigan State (10) in the Big 10 CG
    Auburn (3) vs Missouri (5) in the SEC CG

The winner of the SEC CG gets in if Ohio State loses. Ohio State most likely gets in if they win the Big 10 CG, although a blowout win by Auburn and an uninspiring win by Ohio State could have Auburn leap frog them in the BCS rankings (but that's very questionable).

My vote is for Missouri. I think the last 2 weeks for Auburn will prove to be too much to come up with yet another great game plan against a very solid opponent (21 points, 379 yards). Missouri just faced an up tempo offense in Texas A&M and for the most part contained them. People are still sleeping on Missouri as a feel good story, but the real fact of the matter is they are a great football team (and should be undefeated, led 17-0 in the 4th quarter vs SC). I also think Michigan State shows the world that Ohio State was not a legitimate top 2 team.

Missouri 41, Auburn 27
    Michigan State 31, Ohio State 20

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. islstl

Just curious, if Auburn and Ohio State both win and OSU ends up keeping that #2 BCS ranking, are you going to be overjoyed knowing that LSU prevented Auburn from playing for a national title?

FYI, Auburn goes to the Sugar Bowl of course in that scenario.

There is a real possibility that the Orange Bowl would choose someone like Oregon over Alabama, and then the Sugar taking Alabama in an Auburn/Bama rematch. I don't see why you would choose a UCF or Northern Illinois.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  3. BP

BP Founding Member

I believe the Orange Bowl goes first and would pick Alabama. Sugar will be stuck with Northern Illinois (if it wins the MAC championship) or Central Florida (If it wins its conference championship). We can only hope that Northern Illinois loses, which would free the Sugar to pick any available team from the, I think, top 12 ranked teams.

4. islstl

Ok, that's what Brad Edwards said, that Northern Illinois has to lose in this situation. I wasn't sure of the pecking order for the Sugar.

So given No. Illinois loses, the Sugar wants Auburn vs UCF over Auburn vs Alabama (given that the Orange selects someone like Oregon)?

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Fuggit I'm going Mizzou 38 Auburn 35 Ohio State 31 MSU 32 (2 pointer works this time)

FSU 52 Mizzou 35

LSUDad likes this.
  6. BP

BP Founding Member

The Orange goes first, and I can't imagine them not taking Alabama under any circumstances. If Northern wins, Sugar must take wither them or UCF. If Northern Loses, Sugar can take any available team, other than and SEC, since SEC would already have Alabama and Auburn picked, that is in the top 12 ranking. So, it could pick Oregon or Baylor, etc.

7. Noth1ngfaced

Noth1ngfaced Veteran Member

Alabama will play Florida State.

And even if they don't, the Tide will dominate their BCS bowl and will probably be awarded a split national title with an AP title. I don't like it, but I call it like I see it.

LaSalleAve likes this.
  8. BP

BP Founding Member

Others are much better at these kinds of predictions, but I don't see Alabama in the championship game unless bot Florida State and Ohio State lose. Should Ohio State lose and Auburn beats Missouri, it will undoubtedly be in. Should Missouri win, I think it will overtake Alabama in both computer and human polls, it's pretty close even now, and I think a Missouri win would put them over Alabama, though probably not over Ohio State, shoulsd it beat Michigan State.

9. islstl

Well there is no discussion should Missouri win and Ohio State lose, that Missouri is facing FSU.

You are correct that Duke needs to beat FSU and Ohio State lose for Alabama to slink their way back into the title game for a 3rd straight year.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Knowing their luck though over the past 3 years I wouldn't be shocked if that happened.