Preseason Ranking

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigers Paw, May 3, 2008.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

16 is a joke. And teams like BYU ahead of us? Please...

We had a much bigger question at QB going into the '04 season, but at least, as defending champs, we were given some respect in the pre-season polls.

I have faith that Miles will tout his D$@n strong team enough during the summer to garner and much better ranking. That's how we got to #2 last year.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

look to lsu's last NC season. new offense= NC.

havent had a RSFR QB lead his team to a NC in a long time (dont know about SEC title)

so having a rsfr qb is a bigger ? than starting a new o.

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i can see a 12-1 BYU being ranked ahead of a 10-3 LSU at the end of the season.

dont forget that most of these rankings place teams where they think teams will finish not how good they are.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Clair's posts are right on about both LSU's 16th ranking by Dodd and the fact he doesn't question Auburn's new and untested offensive scheme.

We are way too solid on both lines of scrimmage to be #16. In fact, there is no team in the entire nation who is as strong as LSU is collectively on both sides of the line. That's where you win the games. We will be able to minimize deficiencies both at QB and CB with the hosses we have.

No worries.

5. clair

clair Rockets

The spread offense takes a LONG time to master and it is based 100% on timing.

For every 80 point game WVU has, they also have a loss at home to Pitt.

When was the last time a true spread option team won it all? And Florida doesn't count, because their offense is more modern.

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Being ranked around 15-16, I agree is a joke. These sports analysts are not taking into consideration the rest of this team or the coaching staff behind it. With one of the best OL's in the country, and our traditional nasty defense, the question marks at QB and CB are not as concerning as they are making them out to be. I agree with those who think we will be somewhere in the area of 8 -10. I look for us to be much better than some are willing to acknowledge. A strong 11-12 win season is still very much possible.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Last season, no one herald Flynn as some kind of a superhero QB before the season. Our Defense will be dominate and our offensive line and running game will grind teams down. As long as Hatch or Lee doesnt lose the game, we should be fine. Id say we should be ranked at 9 or so. Anything out of the top 10 for the reigning National Champions is an insult.

8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I agree and I am unconcerned with the position. Clair has excellent points but consider this: tOSU pre-season ranking last year was AP 11, USA 10, ESPN 12, Coaches at 10. We have the tools to keep pace and exceed that IMO.

9. clair

clair Rockets

Lee is the only QB on LSU's roster this year or last who has been under Crowton's offense his entire career and that would have included Perrilloux. It is all he knows and by fall, he will be serviceable. He won't be great, but he will be serviceable.

10. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

The difference was that Flynn (a Rivals 4-star recruit out of high school) was a 5th year senior that had been on LSU's team for four seasons at the time (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006). Also, he had some game experience. In 2004, he threw for 99 yards in 3 games. In 2005, he threw for 457 yards in 6 games -- including his Peach Bowl start vs. Miami (Flynn won MVP) and when he replaced an injured J Russell in the second half of the SEC Championship vs. Georgia. In 2006, he threw for 133 yards in 7 games.

Both Lee and Hatch have only been on LSU's team for one season (2007). Lee spent that season as a redshirt. As for Hatch, he went 1-for-2 against the Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee State.

But yes, it's not like you are arguing that LSU should be ranked #2 like we started off last year. I agree with you that a ranking of around #9 or so would be fair.