Pretty heated debate going on at Volnation on Miles v. Saban

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Atreus21, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols/35308-rank-12-sec-football-coaches.html

It originally started as ranking the 12 SEC coaches, but it's been turning into a debate on Miles' substance, winning with Saban's talent, and all that stuff.

It's interesting to see. Some of the guys are giving Miles substantial credit, and some don't because he's yet to win a title of some kind (except the SEC West title in 05.)

:geauxtige

2. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I agree with the title angle. I don't care if it's Nutt, Saban, Miles, Fulmer.......it's all about titles.

3. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

So lemme guess, Saban miraculously went out and found all true freshman and has maintained a 3-1 win/loss ratio with players recruited strictly by him? Gimme a break, Saban will be playing with Schula's players for the next couple of years too so if they win 11 games then we should just shrug it off as such.

4. Atkinson Hall

Atkinson Hall Freshman

im in the minority that holds national ranking over titles. i would rather finish 3rd in the nation (as we did last year) without a title than lose some non-conf games but win the SEC and finish 12th ranked. I dont understand why so many fans want to win the SEC first and foremost and the NC title as bonus. give me the NC title anyday. So in other words, i am more impressed with Miles' accomplishments thus far (5th, 3rd...i like where he is going).:yelwink2:

5. Potted Plant

Potted Plant Founding Member

I don't buy the title argument at all. It has some applicability, but it's not the be-all, end-all of coaching success. Look at Bobby Johnson. He's a very good coach, one I would love to have here should we have an opening, and he hasn't even had a winning season.

You have to look at circumstances and performance vs. reasonable expectations. In 2005, given the circumstances (new coach, Broussard's preseason injury, and Katrina), we performed very well and probably exceeded reasonable expectations in just getting to the title game. In 2006, given the extremely difficult schedule, we performed right about at expectations. 2007 is really the first year we could reasonably be expected to play for championships.

I just don't agree with the "Championships or Bust" attitude of some fans. It's what they use to dismiss or belittle Jamarcus Russell's accomplishments. Hell, Ted Williams never won a championship. Archie Manning never won one. Is Trent Dilfer a better QB than Archie Manning? Is Jose Canseco better than Ted Williams? Is Mike Ditka equal to Bill Cowher because they have the same number of Super Bowls? Are either of them better than Marv Levy?

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

UT needs to be concentrating on what is happening in their own house. In the last 19 games versus ranked SEC teams they won 4. Last 4 bowl games, lost 3 to unranked teams. Last 28 games, won 15.

I learned earlier this week of an altercation on the coaching staff at practice between Taylor and Chavis.

The Chavis defense at the bottom of the SEC in rankings right now.

7. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

What titles means is proven commodity. So you'd rather have Bobby Johnson or Nutt over a guy like Mark Richt or Spurrier? Of course not and no one would. (I hope you don't) Richt/Spurrier have titles and in the hardest conference in football. Everything is taken into consideration of course but if you're talking about a coach from the SEC, titles is what's important. Titles means winning. SEC championships gets you close to the NC game. So if you have an SEC title, you were/are close to getting to the NC game which IS the end all-be all.

8. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

So you'd rather finish 3rd and not win the SEC? I don't know what you're saying dude. Titles means winning the SEC, NC, etc.

So you'd rather not win the SEC but finish 3rd than to win the SEC and finish 10th?

In 10 years what will people around here remember......that you finished 3rd or that you won the SEC Championship? SEC Championships are written on flags flying over Tiger Stadium. I don't remember seeing one flag that says we ended up 3rd last year.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Simply counting titles and ignoring 11-win seasons, bowl blowout victories, and top-5 finishes make no sense to me at all. The Tigers are winning under Miles and the championships will come.

10. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Remember when winning the Independence bowl was a big deal? 11 win seasons, bowl championships and top 5 rankings are all part of the process and help with keeping LSU on top. We aren't going to win an SECC and MNC every year.