Pretty heated debate going on at Volnation on Miles v. Saban

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Atreus21, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Potted Plant

Potted Plant Founding Member

No. It isn't. Winning the national championship is a great accomplishment, but it's not the ONLY good accomplishment. Nor is winning the SEC the only good accomplishment. I agree that title are important, but to the extent you're saying they're the ONLY important thing, you are absolutely wrong. An SEC title is great, but an 11 win season that falls short of the SECCG is pretty good too, especially under certain circumstances. Under other circumstances, an 8 win season can be outstanding.

To me, what Greg Schiano has accomplished at Rutgers is probably at least as impressive as Urban Meyer's winning the national championship, at least if he can keep it going. It's a lot harder to take a program from the doldrums and make them a contender than it is to take a program with a ton of talent and a great natural recruiting area and make it a winner.

Also, you have to realize how much luck is involved in winning titles. We wouldn't have won in 2003 without some luck on our side. Remember, we lost a game. It happened to be a year where you could lose a game and still have a chance. Not all years are like that. We were also fortunate not to lose key personnel to injury, like Chad Lavalais, Corey Webster, or Matt Mauck. Those guys would have been irreplaceable.

I'm not saying it's all luck, or that championships aren't important, but I think it's pure foolishness to think you have to win a championship in order to accomplish something, and that all coaches who've won championships are superior to all coaches that haven't.

Hell, I think I would have given Les Miles Coach of the Year honors for what happened in 2005, and we got shellacked by Georgia in the championship game.

2. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Championships may come but the question wasn't ranking the coaches in 5 years....it was now if I'm correct. Maybe we'll have championship's in the future....then again, maybe we won't.

3. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Starting this thread was a bad idea.

4. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Schiano has done a fine job at Rutgers but if we're ranking coaches (and that was the question) then Richt and Spurrier, who have won championships, have to be ranked above Schiano. If not, you're thinking with your heart and not your head.

If you want to give Les Miles Coach of the Year honors for getting drilled by Georgia (when he has the best talent in the confernece) then you really are 1% of fans. But it takes all kinds.

And that makes no sense to me.

5. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I don't know where I said that.

I said we're not flying flags and wearing T-shirts that say we went 11-2 and finished 3rd last year. There's a reason they don't make shirts like that.

Maybe you should start printing those t-shirts though. Print only 2 of them cause that's how many people care.

6. Atkinson Hall

Atkinson Hall Freshman

dont get me wrong...i want to win the SEC every year, but i wouldnt have traded places with Arkansas last year...win the SEC west...but only after getting dominated by us who went on to better bowl game and showed the nation what we've got. I think this years #2 preseason ranking had alot to do with our #3 finish and bowl performance last year. Also, if im a potential recruit, id be more impressed with a consitantly ranked top 5 team than one that finishes somewhere in the middle of the national pack but won their conference. Fortunately, if you win the SEC, chances are you'll be somehwere at the top anyway. Like I said, i know im in the minority.

7. vector4

vector4 Founding Member

I agree with the people who say titles aren't the end all be all.

If I had to pick one thing to be the measuring stick I would use BCS bowl games.

Last years season was a complete success even though no titles were gained. We went to a BCS game and beat down a non-SEC team on a prime time TV spot while earning ourselves and the rest of the SEC millions of dollars. We came out with a #3 ranking which I think helped lead to our preseason #2 this year. I don't know how you can't consider that a successful year.

8. Potted Plant

I doubt I'm 1% of fans, and if you have criticisms of the team's performance in 2005 after all that team went through, frankly I don't think LSU needs you.

1 person likes this.
  9. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I don't know what you're talking about. Ranking coaches was the thread dude. And IMO, titles is what matters when ranking coaches....not the feel good story of 2005. So go play your violin and make Katrina videos. I'll stay with the thread topic which was ranking coaches.

10. Potted Plant

I thought the thread was about what sort of credit to give Miles for the past two seasons.