Pretty heated debate going on at Volnation on Miles v. Saban

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Atreus21, Sep 25, 2007.

1. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

No you're not. I'm with you and I understand what you're saying.

But you're talking about Arkansas last year. They didn't win the title.......I'm saying I'd rather win the SEC Championship. The team that does that will be in good shape no matter what. So comparing Arkansas to us last year is not a valid point in our discussion IMO. I can't think of too many scenarios where I'd rather NOT win the SEC Championship......can you?

2. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Titles are not always an accurate representation who's the better coach. Being that some years the SEC is down and some years there is parody across the board, some years it's easier to win the SEC title than others. As far as the NC goes, you need things to fall in place to get that chance to even play for it. UGA a few years back went undefeated with a NC caliber team, but never got that chance to play for one. Saban, on the other hand, had everything fall in place for him in 03'. Result, Saban has a NC under his belt and Richt doesn't. According to your standards(and most others), that makes Saban the better coach.

3. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I said I thought titles was important. That's it.

4. khounba

khounba Founding Member

It would also make Fulmer a better coach.

5. NELA_Tigerfan

NELA_Tigerfan When's kickoff?

amen
    If you can't be happy about that, maybe you should find another hobby.Do you realize how many teams compete every year and any given Saturday anything can happen.If you aren't happy about the direction of the program,you can't be happy period.my2c

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

If we're ranking them, then yes, I put Saban ahead of Richt. When Richt gets a NC, then we'll see. But all things being equal between 2 good coaches, then yes, titles becomes important in ranking a coach, no?

And I don't know where I said NC is the only thing that's important. But titles implies winning and success. And I'd rather have an SEC Championship than an 11-2 season and no SEC Championship. I want to know what is the argument?

7. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Thanks for that.

8. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Everybody on this board at one time would have taken Fulmer over whatever coach we had at the time. So don't sit here and imply Phil sucks like you knew something nobody else did in 99.

9. KajunKenny

KajunKenny Founding Member

As a fan I like dedication... a coach who is willing to be here for the "long run"... saban's stint here felt like a quickie one night stand... he popped in got what he wanted and took off to some place where he thought the grass was greener...

I would prefer Les Miles and if he decides to stay here rather then jump to Michigan he will be my favorite coach ever...

While I love the championship and all... I would rather have Miles right now then Saban...

10. Potted Plant

Potted Plant Founding Member

You've said much more than that. You've pretty much said that titles were the overriding consideration by which all coaches are measured.