Pretty heated debate going on at Volnation on Miles v. Saban

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Atreus21, Sep 25, 2007.

1. NELA_Tigerfan

NELA_Tigerfan When's kickoff?

You are welcome. :)
    Seriously, All the pieces are in place and the titles will come.:thumb:

2. khounba

khounba Founding Member

The fact that Fulmer sucks today nullifies your entire argument about the correlation between titles and great coaches. He does have a MNC title doesn't he? You rank Fulmer above Les? Ricth?

3. Atkinson Hall

Atkinson Hall Freshman

no, i really cant. but if i were to prioritize what i want to see us do each year it would be this: 1. NC championship(#1 ranked), 2. BCS bowl win (ranked #2-#5), 3. SEC champ, 4. good bowl (top 10 rank), 5. "hopefully next year is better"
    but your right, the SEC champ item takes care of some of the others :yelwink2: .

4. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Titles when it comes down to ranking coaches should be the overriding factor IMO. If you got Richt, Saban and Miles......the order would be Saban, Richt and Miles.

LSU plays football to win titles and in ranking coaches that are all fine coaches, titles has to play into it IMO....not some feel good story of 05. You can feel good about the 05 team but using that to rank Miles is silly.....which is what the thread was about.

1 person likes this.
  5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Over the long run...8-10 years they certainly are. Over a relatively short term of 3-5 years they are not. Make no mistake though, titles..and especially around here, SEC titles, is what will determine a coaches legacy. If Miles doesnt win one in the next 3 or 4 years he will be labeled an underachiever and be under tremendous pressure to get the monkey of his back.

It really wont matter though because all this is going to take care of itself THIS YEAR. :thumb:

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I know that my man. I'm happy. Just talking in a thread about ranking coaches. :hihi:

7. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Well Fulmer brings up an important anomaly in the ranking coaches theory and in no way shape, form or fashion does anything to my argument.

Titles are important, yes and should be the deciding factor among good coaches. And at one time Fulmer would have been ranked very high in the SEC by everyone. But he's fallen off the map so what of it? Bear Bryant lost in the end of his career....is he not a great coach? It's a year to year deal.

Let me ask you this: Would you rank Miles above Richt, Meyer, Saban?

8. khounba

khounba Founding Member

It crushes your argument.

It means a NC is not always an indication of how great a coach is or will be. Isn't that the argument?

You never answered me.

From your own input device.
    Obviously it won't matter in ten years, just like Fulmers MNC.

9. NELA_Tigerfan

NELA_Tigerfan When's kickoff?

I think that has yet to be decided. This is Miles first year with "His" staff. Saban has a long way to go in Bama., and Meyer won with Zooks players.:hihi:
    Richt , in my opinion does a great job every year in GA but " doesn't have a NC".So its a toss.We'll have a better idea in Jan.:geauxtige

10. geauxgeauxhon

geauxgeauxhon blah blah blah

I see things a little less black and white than that.

I'd rather have a 14 -0 SEC championship (and MNC) than an 11 - 2 season and SEC championship.

I'd rather have an 11 - 2 season and BCS blowout and final ranking of #3 and no SEC championship than a 10 -3 SEC championship and BCS loss and final ranking of #8.

I'd rather go 11 - 2 and blowout Miami in the Peach Bowl and not win the SEC championship than go 9 - 3 and lose on a last-second TD to Iowa in the Capitol One bowl and not win the SEC championship.

Championships are what teams must shoot for, but I do not think they alone are indicative of a coach's ability. We all know that the stars had to be aligned perfectly for LSU to get into the 2003 BCS game, and that Florida only got there last year in large part due to Michigan's lobbying against a replay with Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl (oops! can't have a replay then in the MNC) and Urban Myer's bellyaching. If that Hawaii game had gone differently in 2003, would Nick Saban be less talented than he is now? If USC had beat UCLA last year and lost in the MNC, would Myer be less talented than he is now?

2 people like this.