Price of premature birth preventive spiking from $10 to $1,500

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by KyleK, Mar 12, 2011.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

please note that the problem here, yet again, is with the government for making it illegal to compete with this company. this company has no power over us, only the government does.

2. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

If the goverment would have kept out of it the price would still be cheap enough for people who need it to afford. Not those damn corporations it's that freaking goverment bureacrat.

3. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

The Govt. lets us know what we can use. We are safer and the price is justified. Ugh.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Do you not see it is government intervention that is causing this? This is the first class letter on a much grander scale.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Don't blame the insurance company when they balk at paying for it.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

and that is a huge negative consequence of this action. it is likely fewer women will get the drug because of greed. and premature births will go up and the financial cost to the health care system will go up.

this is just irresponsible all the way around. from the drug company doing it, to the govt allowing it.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Exactly. The insurance companies will now place women in pregnancy age groups as a higher risk and jack up the premiums. Either that or exclude coverage for the drug.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

the patent/intellectual property system has been broken for a while. red and i have discussed it at length, though not in the context of medicine. i am definitely sympathetic to drug companies because money drives research that saves lives, but i dunno about this particular case.

they say that poor women will get this drug for cheap, and also that it isnt even really all that effective or necessary.

of course i am also for legalization of all drugs, so i would be ok with pharmacists mixing this up like they were before, without getting cease and desist notices.

9. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Drug companies don't set the retail rates.

Drug companies sell to Wholesalers whom sell to retail chains. Then when you mix in what PBM you have the price can change as well.

The Drug companies usually get a bad wrap.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ban all lobbyists from state and federal capitols and watch how quickly drug prices drop to what the free market dictates. Watch the oil and farm subsidies disappear, too.