Prime Time

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, Jun 9, 2003.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Tigers-CS Fullerton play at 6:00 Friday night. Break out the beer and barbecue.

2. StarscreamLSU

StarscreamLSU Founding Member

Cool -- I can catch the game on my drive home.

3. LSU Tailgater

LSU Tailgater Freshman

HELL YEA!!!

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

CS Fulllerton has won 3 CWS titles, all under coach Augie Garrido who is now the Texas coach who won his 4th last year with the Longhorns

LSU's bracket:

LSU - CS Fullerton
    Stanford - South Carolina

All 4 teams are long time veterans of the CWS except for South Carolina but the Gamecocks were last years runnerup and are making their second consecutive appearance. This bracket looks like Murderers Row.

The other bracket:

Texas - Miami
    Rice - Southwest Missouri State

The Horns and the Canes are also longtime CWS veteran teams.
    The Rice Owls are a recent power team in the last few years but they have built up a program that has produced players like the Astro's Lance Berkman

Out of the 8 teams in the CWS the only team that could be considered an underdog is Southwest Missouri State.

LSU has produced Major Leaguers like Ben McDonald, Albert (Joey) Belle, Todd Walker, Armando Rios, Paul Byrd, Mark Guthrie, Russ Johnson, Chad Ogea, Trey Hodges, and current SF Giants pitcher Kurt Ainsworth.

Texas - Roger Clemens, Adam Dunn, and Shane Reynolds

Miami - Pat Burrell, Aubrey Huff, Charles Johnson and former big leaguer Jose Canseco who was one of the "Bash Brothers" along with Mark McGwire at Oakland in the late 80's and early 90's

Stanford - Rick Helling and Mike Mussina

CS Fullerton - Jeremy Giambi (his brother Jason, a recent AL MVP went to Long Beach State who was eliminated by Stanford in the SuperRegionals), Mark Kotsay, Phil Nevin

South Carolina - Adam Everett

Rice - Lance Berkman, Jose Cruz Jr

Southwest Missouri State - Bill Mueller, Kelly Robinson

Look at the big leaguers from the teams that lost in the SuperRegionals:

Arizona State - Barry Bonds, Paul LoDuca, Fernando Vina along with Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson

North Carolina - Paul Shuey, B.J. Surhoff

Florida State - J.D. Drew, Paul Wilson, Doug Mientkiewicz

Long Beach State - Jason Giambi, Steve Trachsel

NC State - Dan Plesac

Baylor - Jason Jennings, Kip Wells

Houston - Ben Weber, Woody Williams

Ohio State - none but MLB umpire Tim Timmons once played for the Buckeyes

If LSU is able to stay in the winners bracket the Tigers will play on Friday, Sunday and Wednesday. If they make it that far and should lose on Wednesday they would have to play a Thursday game to make the finals. If they win on Wednesday they would go into the Saturday, Sunday and Monday finals with a rested pitching rotation. If they have to play a Thursday game it will burn one of the starters but whoever might have to pitch a Thursday game should be available at least for long relief Monday if necessary. If the Tigers are going to have a shot at winning it all it is crucial that they stay in the winners bracket at least until Wednesday since they don't have the bullpen relief depth that some of the other teams have.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Right on BB. That's exactly what I said about a month ago:

" Smoke Laval replaced Skip and. to me anyway, has earned his stripes. He coached this year's team to the SEC championship with a patchwork pitching staff including an underachieving (IMHO) bullpen. Of the current starters, only Bo Pettit remains from the preseason anticipated staff. When the Tigers are "on" they hit from 1 to 9 and it takes a great pitcher on his "A" game to shut them down. It remains to be seen how they'll hold up in post season. Win the 1st 2 in any tounament and were golden. I don't know if we have the pitching depth to claw our way out of the losers bracket. Anyway, I'll take this team over any of the 7, 10, or 12 (depending on the poll) teams ranked higher."

6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Also rememeber the Tigers have never won more than 4 in a row this whole season.

7. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I count 5 in a row on two separate occasions. We got Long Beach St. on 3.02.03, Southeastern on 3.05.03, and Winthrop on 3.07.03, 3.08.03, and 3.09.03. Then again starting on 4.20.03 against Vandy, Southeastern, and Tennessee. Did the 2000 team win 5 or more in a row at any point during the season?

8. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

come on now!! You can throw out the regular season at this point. It is June......and the magic has started.

9. Orange Tiger

Orange Tiger Founding Member

Bengal B, Adam Dunn never played baseball at UT. He was on a football scholarship and redshirted the 1999 season before leaving to pursue pro baseball.

10. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

maybe I did count wrong and it was five. We neve reeled off a huge winning streak this year. But as we all know, the post-season is a new season.