prime vs. choice cuts you steak experts....

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by snorton938, Apr 21, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

well old snort just went out to celebrate another b-day he'd rather not remember......went to del friscos which serves prime cuts of beef (got the 12 oz filet cooked pittsburgh rare....cooked to perfection)......used to go to charlies until they became overcrowded with tourists to get the same cooked filet only it was choice......but charlies cooks theirs on flavored wood (i believe mesquite.....very flavorful)......what's your preference when you get a steak.....prime, choice, another grade.....does it really matter the cut or is it in the seasonings and cooking woods? plus what's your opinion on ala cart for the sides....i mean if i'm paying $30 for a steak can't they throw in a 50 cent potato?

2. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

p.s....you know how you spell b-day cake for snort....it's k i n g c a k e from randazzo's bakery in slidell....yum... :D

3. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Center cut top sirlion is my favorite. It's the piece of meat you get when you go to Outback and order the Outback Special.

When I go to one of those steak joints where you're going to pay $50 a piece, I usually go for the KC Strip or the Filet. Not very many places carry the KC Strip.

My favorite place for a steak is Bob's Steak and Chop in Dallas.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Thats what I always thought. And another 50 cents for a salad or some onion rings.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's hard to tell the difference between USDA Prime and USDA Choice for me, especially with a filet. It's also hard to find Prime in the supermarkets. Most of it goes to the steakhouses. Some of the Prime cuts are so marbled that the heart-healthy among us worry about too much fat.

I get Choice if they have it.