"Profound" commentary by Ben Stein

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Mar 21, 2006.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

sweet. everyone needs their place in the world.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Or maybe you just didn't hear about it. My grandfather never told anybody about it until 50 years later. It just wasn't talked about back then. There also wasn't as big a fascination with the media as there is now, which means we hear more about news that isn't really news at all because they have to fill the time with something - why not perverts, deviants and criminals.

Like gay people for instance. There aren't more of them now. There are just more of them that are out of the closet. I know it made everybody's little world easier not having to think about these things back then, but that didn't mean they didn't exist.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Furthermore, could we say the same thing if it was devil worshippers that wanted to decorate the streets with public (or even private) money during their holidays? What about Scientologists? Christians pretend like they just want they same respect the government appears to give to athiests, but would they show the respect they want to other less popular religions? I doubt it.

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Nobody's really got an answer for this and anyone who says different is grandstanding. I'm sure you will draw whatever conclusion you want though.

Note to fellow Christians: CParso and martin love to poke sticks in our proverbial hornets' nest from time to time to see what comes out. Do your best to ignore them on this topic.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Not many people have replied, and I don't expect many more. I think everybody's pretty much got it figured out.

But this is FSA, and if things get slow I like to try & open some dialogue. I think I've made some good points to counter Ben Stein and the imposter that wrote the bottom part. If there are arguments or differing opinions on what I said, I like to hear them. Why ignore it? I'm not here trying to tell you not to believe in god or not to be religious. The thread isn't even about religion itself, but rather it's implications on our society and differing people's freedoms. Seems like a topic that deserves attention to me.

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Here's a suggestion: Don't let an old and out-of-work actor get your panties in a knot. He doesn't care if Christmas Trees are called Christmas trees? Great! Now I can sleep in peace because Ben Stein isn't offended by Christianity. That has been bothering me for some time now. But hey now that we know he's not offended, we can continue on with our merry little lives.

translation:NO ONE GIVES A RAT'S ARSE ABOUT WHAT OFFENDS BEN STEIN.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Good idea. It's hard to defend rationale when it doesn't exist.

Don't take that as a knock. I have no problem with Christianity or Christians, per se. But an argument with a Christian will undoubtedly gravitate towards faith. And the truth is, faith, be it in any diety, necessarily indicates a lack of rationale.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Mythology. Magic is an imaginary phenomenon that has never been proved. Mythology is a real phenomenon with many examples.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Mythology - or the collection of myths, which are "A fiction or half-truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology." (dictionary.com)

Exactly what kind of proof is there behind mythology other than popular belief in it? Just because less people believe in magic doesn't make it any different.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Myths exist, this is a fact, and many myths have been documented, one need only look.

Genies, Gods, wells, or wizards granting wishes can safely be defined as mythology. It dosn't matter if people believe in it or not. Myths are fictional by definition.

Dragons, Valhalla, flying horses, and wish-granting cannot be defined as magic by rational beings. Magic isn't real. But they can exist in mythology.