"Profound" commentary by Ben Stein

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Mar 21, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

So the difference is that magic can't exist on its own, but the belief in it/or tale of it is mythology and this can exist?

2. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

When I was a kid, I got my ass whipped on a regular basis when I had it coming. I'm not out there today killing, raping or pillaging. I actually consider myself a productive member of society. It's called teaching kids that there are MEANINGFUL consequences for their actions.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I don't doubt that at all. I got whipped, too. But I absolutely do not think that is the only way to have children turn out good. A lesson is only as good as the person who learns it.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

And I didn't get my ass whipped, yet I'm not out there killing, raping or pillaging. I know all about meaningful consequences for my actions. Spanking is not the only way to learn this.

Plenty of kids that are spanked turn into murderers also.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is a little confusing. Magic is not real, however fiction itelf is real . . . even if magic is a part of it. Magic actually works in a mythological world, of course. It just doesn't work in reality.

This is why I say Alladin's Genie granting wishes is not magic because it cannot be real. However it can be fiction. And so it is.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

And how much did you pay in taxes last year?

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Specifically for state income taxes? I don't recall, but it wasn't much because I only work part time. In a year, that will be a different story.

It's the principal of the matter. Should the entire population be forced to pay for a religious object that only some of them believe in?

Our government is supposed to be seperate from church & state. That means not showing a preference for any religion - I understand this isn't completely possible because the majority is christian, but it's more possible now that it ever has been before.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

now this should be filed in the record book for pointless parsing of definitions.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yes, I still don't understand why he bothered to put the original reply up.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

In other words, you didn't "pay" for anything.
    Give me a break. That BS of "we pay for it" is just that. BS. With all of the wasteful spending the Government manages to do with money, who gives a damn if a few bucks are expended by some City Council for a Nativity scene. Granted, not everyone is a Christian, but most are. And the manger scene has represented Christmas for most people since Christ was a corporal. If some atheist wants to bitch that "his money" shouldn't be spent on the display, let him show some receipts.