Projected Starters on D

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by StreetDiction, Jan 11, 2010.

1. StreetDiction

StreetDiction Gary Crowton Hater

DT - Nevis, Downs
    DE - Montgomery, Edwards or Chancey

LB - Baker, Shepard, Minter

Corners - Eugene and Peterson

Safeties - Taylor and Loston

Hopefully Montgomery can bring a pass rush w/o running himself out of the play a la Alem. I like what I saw out of Edwards in rushing the QB and batting down some passes and Downs and Chancey would seem to be an upgrade simply because Alexander and Woods were garbage this year.

Shepard is solid and is usually making plays all over the field. I'm glad he came back. Baker looked good in limited playing time. I'm putting Minter in here, but I don't know much about the LB position except we decided not to recruit many in the last few years.

Just wondering what you guys thought as far as who will be starting and contributing next year.

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

being saying forever that Mo Claiborne will start opposite of Patrick Peterson if Chavis is serious about the secondary.

3. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Folks don't realize what a beast Mo is. Mo and PP together shuts down the field. I guess depth is the reason Jai is not a good safety candidate but his tackling ability alone makes him a good candidate for safety.

I'd like to see the corner blitz make its way back into the repetoire...

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I think he could play the nickel well with his speed and blitz effectively. Safety not so much, he doesnt have the size.

5. dudley

dudley oops!

I think Brockers at 6' 6", 290 and maybe bigger is going to lay claim to one of those end spots sooner rather than later. .

6. gotboost?

gotboost? Founding Member

i would like to see jai in the lb role ... speed is good ... would like to see jones/loston in the backfield with mo/pp on the islands

7. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i like jai at nickel back also his tackling improved considerably this season.

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Are you leaving Jones out because you think he will be playing rookie baseball or because you think he will get beat out?

I can't see him having his spot taken.

9. StreetDiction

StreetDiction Gary Crowton Hater

I thought Jones was already a lock to leave to go play baseball. I wish he'd stay and knock some more heads off though. I like Taylor as the other safety as long as he never covers anyone man to man ever again. I'm sure Loston would have a good chance to take his spot though.

I didn't know about Mo, but I like what i'm hearing. I agree with Jai being a good tackler, so nickel back sounds great.

10. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Taylor is actually a good cover guy. Probably as good as the starter opposite PP whether it be Hawkins or Eugene. Taylor's move to SS looked to me like an effort to get the four best guys on the field. If a better option existed at SS, Taylor stood a good chance at the starting corner position. The fact that he drew the Whoolio assignment when PP went down speaks volumes. But it's not easy going from SS to CB on one play, then get pushed in the back out of position and not get the call. I'm betting he's a top 3 cover guy on the team, but he's a big dude so he's a good safety candidate.