pryor and others suspended

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by skippy737, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Here's what I don't get. click on the top, the NCAA: line.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2061565"]NCAA: Improper gifts, assistance given to athletes - College Sports - ESPN[/ame]

So, according to this article from 2005, tOSU has had prior run-ins with the NCAA over improper gifts, one of which goes back to 1999.
    And here it is 2010 and tOSU is saying the kids did this in 2008, just before the school updated its over-sight and, therefore, the kids didn't know the rules.

Say what?

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

so, osu has a continuing pattern of lack of institutional control, and nothing happens.

ar·bi·trar·y (är[​IMG]b[​IMG]-tr[​IMG]r[​IMG][​IMG]) adj.
    1. Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle: stopped at the first motel we passed, an arbitrary choice.
    2. Based on or subject to individual judgment or preference: The diet imposes overall calorie limits, but daily menus are arbitrary.
    3. Established by a court or judge rather than by a specific law or statute: an arbitrary penalty.
    4. Not limited by law; despotic: the arbitrary rule of a dictator.

3. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Did AJ Green not do something very similar and got zapped how many games???

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

mmmm..... zapps.

sorry, my mind wandered.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, he really doesn't personally own any school jerseys or helmets. They are school property until a player leaves the program and is allowed to take some mementos with him. He didn't buy the rings either, the school paid for them. As long as the kid is in school he must abide by NCAA rules. if it was legal, certain crooked boosters would buy a jersey every week from some stars.

Shaq wore a brand new pair of very large Nike basketball shoes for every game at LSU. LSU gave a lot of them away, you can see them in display cases all over town. But Shaq wan't allowed to just sell them. He could have made a small fortune in three years if it had been permitted.

Conversely LSU isn't allowed to exploit the players to make money either. That's why you can't order an official LSU jersey with a current players name on it. LSU made up about 500 T-shirts with SHAQ on them for O'Neal's last game at LSU. Sgt. Harrison complained and LSU wasn't able to sell any of them.

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

didn't read the rest of the thread, so sorry if already answered.

allowing them to sell these things makes it too easy for a booster or agent to pay a kid.

suddenly these jerseys and ring will be going for 6 figures when "bought" from a star player.

schools could hand out trinkets for any win during the season and allow the stud QB to bank serious $.

would basically legalize pay for play.

7. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Isn't it Ironic:
    6 years ago Buckeye QB Troy Smith was suspended 2 games including his BOWL GAME for accepting $500.00 from a booster. Isn't it ironic the NCAA found The Ohio St. university players as well as the same university coaching staff to be everything it suddenly isn't. Ya, I get it, sing it Alanis Morissette!

8. catch26

catch26 Founding Member

This is absolutely ridiculous! NCAA is a JOKE! I played 4 years of college football and graduated in '97. Every year during 2-a-days we had to watch the NCAA video on what you could & couldn't do...along with having our AD come in and talk about eligibility rules, etc. This was for D3 FOOTBALL!!!!

After what AJ Green did...there wasn't a coach in the country that didn't talk his players about that. Heck it was on ESPN GameDay EVERY Saturday for the first 4 weeks of the season!!!! You're telling me that NO ONE at THE OSU said, "Hey, maybe we should talk to the kids about this issue??". And then to see the OSU AD get on tv and be 'thankful' for the loophole so the kids can play in the bowl game....makes me sick! I CALL BS!!!!

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The NCAA has proven once again that they only care about money. I would bet my life that had Pryor and the other OSU guys contacted the NCAA before they sold the items, and told the NCAA that they would give them a cut, these kids wouldn't be suspended. Same thing with AJ Green.

So Ridley get suspended for bowl game for "academic dishonesty" whatever that means, could be suspended for his entire senior season. AJ Green gets 5 games for selling his own property, the 5 OSU kids get suspended for selling their own personal property. Dareus gets 2 games for accepting cash because he is a rat, and Cam Newton gets shopped to schools and he gets a heisman, and other awards, isn't suspended and gets to play in the SEC championship game and National Championship game.

The NCAA only cares about $$$ nothing else. I firmly belive that if you told the heads of the NCAA that if they sacrificed live babies on television, and basked in their blood, it would make them millions of dollars, they would do it.

This is a joke.

BTW, there is a book out called Death To the BCS, its a great read, i highly suggest everyone to read it. Its about the corruption in the BCS.

10. mcstraycat

mcstraycat Founding Member

We have become a nation motivated and governed by only one thing. Greed.

The NCAA's actions are just another example of how all decisions in our country are made only with the profits and welfare of corporate interests in mind. Our sense of justice and fairness has been shoved aside by ****ing greed. Plain and simple. NCAA, Democrats, Republicans, Supreme Court, Oil and Mineral Board, FAA, FDA, FCC, F whatever you name federal or state agency. Doesn't matter, all the same. Doing what is "right" is no longer the consideration.

God help our children for the world they will live in.

[hopping off soapbox and going back to making my gumbo]

1 person likes this.