Publically funded Political elections

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Jun 16, 2006.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

i dunno that there are ways to make the system better other than encouraging people to vote better. i am doing my part by convincing you guys to be small government atheists.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

But it is usually to award big contracts to certain companies (which doesn't positively affect you), or to special interest groups, which I think you would generally be against.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

And direct deposit slips/checks are fakeable. But fraud is illegal, collusion between candidates and donors would be illegal, and fraudulent attempts to trace the money would be illegal. Conspiracy to do any of the above would also be illegal. Not only that but it would be political suicide.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I'm not referring to ads - I meant the news stations themselves.

I think you might be giving the viewers too much credit. They couldn't know they want to see more of something if they don't know they aren't being exposed to everything.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

You still have to assume that, if a corporation tells a candidate that they are going to donate a large amount of money, and his account goes up by 5 million dollars that afternoon - he knows who gave it to him.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

By making the system better, we could help encourage people to vote better.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

when i pay a fancy accounting firm to certify my books, and i am a respectable compnay, nobody will doubt where my money is going.

you really want to make a criminal of everyone don't you? you wantto increase the amount of underhanded and secret deals to the point where everything that happens anywhere is the result of some secret meeting, hidden from the government anti-freedom gestapo.

8. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

This is something that shouldn't happen and wouldn't happen, if the unqualified political appointees were removed from the process. Lawmakers aren't able to award contracts, they only appropriate funds, so, if you fix Red's appointee problem, that goes away.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

to some extent we are trying to correct flaws that are inherent when you have human nature and a democracy, two imperfect systems. the system will not work exactly the way you want it to and usually any effort you do to force it to will screw it up worse.

10. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member