Puerto Rico 51st state?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, May 28, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

He's scared because most puerto ricans are very liberal, notice I said most.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

That's not the problem at all. The problem is that PR votes every year or two on whether to become a state or not. The vote is always no because they want to remain a welfare state and not have to pay federal taxes. I say cut em loose.

4. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

It probably is a liberal apportionment issue for Beck, but I am unsure because I don't watch his program. Maybe he thinks the congress will find a way to circumvent some rules or something to expedite it. I would have to watch him to find out and I doubt that will happen. I think he is a little boring.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They have all the rights of citizenship except Congressmen. Might as well make them a state and let them pay full taxes. Lots of Puerto Ricans would prefer to be independent, and that's fine, too. But 100 years of being a territory is enough, either become a state or go independent.

And learn to speak English.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i agree.

a friend of greenies is married to a puerto rican woman. she grew up learning english in school, but their english teachers must be awful. her english is terrible and accent so thick i struggle to understand her. we both do. and in all the years i have known her and she has lived in the states, it has yet to get any better.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

lol, I notice a strong disdain for hispanics in you amigo:hihi:

anto que todos llevarnos bien:hihi::hihi:

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

i know lots of puerto ricans, and recently dated a cute newyoriquan. red is correct that we might as well make them a state or cut them loose. PRicans themselves are pretty divided on this issue, with the smart ones wanting statehood.

also it should be noted that virtually all young puerto ricans speak english, except the very very stupid ones and a few old-timers.

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It's not an issue of making them a state it's an issue of them repeatedly voting against becoming a state.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Not Hispanics, they are fine by me. But Spanish as the principal language in a US state I disdain. Puerto Rico has been a US territory for 112 years which is plenty long enough to become a truly bilingual population if they were serious about becoming a state. They compete in international sports separately and are very nationalistic. I think they would really prefer to be a country, but don't want to give up the perks.