Punt & FG Protection

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Nov 11, 2002.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Lost in the outcome of the game is the fact that LSU had two kicks blocked that resulted in -10 points (3 FG block + 7 getting ball on 10 yard line). It seems to me that LSU is always on the short end of the stick when it comes to special teams play, specifically punt and FG protection.

Granted, we have outstanding kick returns but it seems to me that those are the result of excellent individual efforts. Domanick Davis singlehandly can get 15+ yards by himself as long as there isn't a block in the back or hold.

The areas that are able to be improved by coaching, punt & FG protection and rushing, always seems to be one of our glaring weaknesses. We had 2 punts blocked at VaTech and the one last game. This stems back to the coaches locating the upcoming teams strengths and weaknesses in their protection. I can't remember the last time LSU has blocked another teams kicks.

Does LSU even have a dedicated special teams coach?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

So what is the problem? Poor special teams coaching? Slow punter? Too many reserves playing? There had better be a fix or this will come back and haunt us again.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Good question, it seems like D. Jones takes awhile sometimes to get the punt off. It sure makes me nervous to punt. Kickoff coverage doesn't seem to be a problem. FG kicking has come around in the last few years.

4. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

Alabama does not have good special teams either. I think this game will come down to a blocked punt or field goal. Their punter has a torn ACL and can only punt once in a series. As in if there is a penalty to bring it back, he probably would not be able to punt it again.

We need to take advantage of their poor sp teams by not committing penalties on our kick returns.

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I would like to highlight even more on our special teams troubles, the fact every LSU fan when we are either returning a punt or kick off we are all looking for flags (Two more on Saturday)

Two Double D TD's have been called back. I think a bigger issue is game after game, there are multiple penalties on special teams.

Penalties are poor dicipline. Those are mental mistakes.

6. TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV Founding Member

Jeff,Lane can now punt consecutively...

His knee has improved that much. In fact, last Saturday, when the second high snap occurred, he scampered to his left and threw a pass that would have been a first down if it hadn't been dropped. However, there is much discussion in the Bama camp as to whether he should be punting, since he can't tackle. I've had a ruptured ACL, and I don't know how he does it. I wince every time I see him do it.

7. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Lane Bearden, Alabama's punter, probably would kick a second time if there was a penalty. He may have to be helped off the field but he would make the kick.

Alabama has been plagued with poor special teams play also. Kick returns especially have hurt us. And Alabama is one of, if not the most penalized team in the SEC. I can't count how many touchdowns we have had called back, but for a while it seemed like at least 2 per game.

The game could be decided by which team doesn't beat themselves.

8. TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV Founding Member

Six TDs, so far, and counting...

And 128 yds last week. Without being penalized one and quarter times a full football field, we smother MSU, instead of winning by two TDs...

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's gotten so bad that the group I usually watch a game with won't even high five a score or great play until a suitable waiting out the flag period has passed.

10. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

If some of you guys will keep their attention for a few minutes before the game, I will sew their flags to the inside of their pockets. :D :D :D