Purple Jerseys

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeathValley, Jan 19, 2003.

1. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Anybody know why we don't wear our purple jerseys more than twice a season. I have heard that is has to do with some sort of bad luck. Lets finally go to a true home jersey and a road jersey.:confused:

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The purple jerseys are ugly, they look like Mardi Gras. It has nothing to do with luck, it has to do with tradition. LSU has worn white-only since the 1950's. There was a period in the 1990's when all schools were forced to wear colors at home. Gerry Dinardo got that rule changed, thank God.

I'm still pissed that Saban for using them twice a year. He says its because the players like them. Sure, .... have you seen some of the hideous high school uniforms they played in. He said he wasn't going to come in here and start changing traditions. So why does he let a handful of 18 to 21-year olds, who are only going to be here a couple of years, change 50-year old traditions?

I say we go back to white jerseys, home and away. Now and forever. Maybe break out the purple every five years or so in a meaningless bowl game, just to make it special.

3. LSUBayouBengal

LSUBayouBengal 3rd Gen LSU Grad

I like the purple, I'd actually like to see them more and the yellow jerseys as well. I like the variety of having 3 colors (i.e. Miami), you don't get as redundant that way. Plus from what I have heard, the players want more variety as well. I'm not saying trash the tradition of the white jerseys, just do something different every now and then.

4. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I like the purple as well. I just do not like them with the yellow(gold) pants and helmets.
    It is not that I do not like wearing white at home though I am a Cowboys fan as well. They were white at home as well, so I am conditioned to think white is the home jersey.
    I just do not like our "gold". I have a poster/painting showing a lot of the older uniforms, and LSU did once wear a more traditional gold.

5. Mojo74

Mojo74 Founding Member

Just so long as they never break out the purple pants again I'm happy.

6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I am a Cowboys fan also and I sometimes have to stop and think and realize that most teams wear dark jerseys at home. I find it kind of weird that both my fav college team and pro team traditionally wear white 90% of the time. I always hated when the Boys play Phily and they force the Cowboys to wear blue.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, at least everybody agrees that the purple pants and white helmets were a disaster. Yellow jersies with white pants might be worth trying sometime, but not with white helmets.

A lot of teams wear the true gold pants and helmets that LSU used to wear (Navy, Notre Dame, etc). They just were'nt colorful or unique enough in the TV era. The bright yellow pants and white jerseys worn since the 50's gives a great color contrast versus most other teams colored jerseys and white pants. The bright yellow is very rare in college football and gives LSU some instant identity recognition.

I also like the big "LSU" added to the helmets in the late 1970's. LSU and UCLA are really the only big football schools universally recognized by their acronyms.

8. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I would like to see them just change out the yellow with a truer gold - kind of like the Rams did.
    With today's tv's the yellow is just to bright. I would want to keep the design or style (or whatever it is called) the same just change the yellow.

9. Trentster

Trentster Founding Member

I like the purple jerseys as well as the white. The yellow pants are also my favorite. What is the one part of the uniform that most people relate to? - the helmet - I like the pants being the same color. It is an LSU trademark. Just no purple jerseys, no yellow or gold jerseys and please no white helmets.

10. Home Whites

The NCAA decided sometime in the late 80's (I think) that home teams would wear their colors and visitors would wear white/neutral.

Gerry D. fought to get that changed and won. The change is that the visiting team choses their color and the home team has to wear opposite. So a visiting team actually has the say-so for LSU at home - remember Vandy? That was the game with the yellow jerseys. Also, Spurrier allowed us to wear our white at home if we returned the favor the next year in the Swamp; we did, but didn't wear our purple.

As for why the team only wears the purples for 2 games, Saban has said that the players like some variety instead of wearing white for every game. If it keeps the players happy, go for it within reason - no purple pants, no off colors (black in hoops and bball), etc. Stick with the school colors and that works for me....