Put the Blame in the Right Place

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDeek, Oct 10, 2006.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I tried to call the shows here today but I couldn't get through either time, so I 'll go ahead and post it here. No sense in duplicating the opinion like PJ.

Here's 7 names for you:

Brett Helms
    Early Doucet
    Jessie Daniels
    Laron Landry
    Colt David
    Herman Johnson
    Chevis Jackson

These are the players that are responsible for each point LSU did not score and each point that Florida scored. Each player made either a physical or mental mistake that caused LSU to lose.

Herman Johnson - Arguable, but pulled the arm of a tackler on Craig Davis's TD pass screen which was called back for his holding.

Brett Helms - Fumbled the snap while releasing too early to block, robbed LSU of a certain touchdown inside the 1 yard line.

Colt David - Missed a 41 yard field goal.

Laron Landry - Was responsible for covering Tate Casey on the jump pass play. Casey blocked Landry and released, and failed to cover him in the back of the end zone. It resulted in (7 points) for Florida.

Early Doucet - Fumbled the kickoff, and Trindon Holliday recovered and was tackled in the end zone for a safety. Florida went right down the field and scored on the ensuing free kick thanks to Jessie Daniels not knowing what defense we were in. He failed to cover Murphy due to his mental lapse. (9 points)

Chevis Jackson - Muffed a punt on LSU's 19 yard line which led to a 1 yard Tebow TD run. (7 points)

Let's quit putting all of the blame on the coaching staff. All of the mental mistakes simply deflated any momentum we could have had, made our offense predictably pass-happy and allowed UF to pressure Russell into errant throws (which still reached the receiver if not perfectly on target most of the time).

I hate that people shy away from criticizing these players when it is so clear who's at fault in the game. I hated it back in 2004 when we played so bad at times against Auburn, Georgia, Ole Miss, and Troy... and for the whole of last year with our offensive struggles.... and I hate it now. What can we do if all of our special teams guys fumble it all over the place? Every single guy we've got back there has fumbled it at some point this season, with predictably disastrous results.

2. charjenk

charjenk Freshman

When you have a lot of mistakes, its coaching plain and simple. If the players had been coached right, they wouldn't have made the mistakes to begin with.

Yes the players do need to be blamed, but i feel like we have Aaron Brooks for a coach.

3. edyel

edyel edyel

Points taken.......... time to MOVE ON! Kentucky is the next team up. Lets talk about our matchup player for player. Lets talk about ANYTHING but a game that has been played and is done and buried. Lets talk about how great this Saturday's game is gonna be at Tiger Stadium,at night,under the lights. Lets talk about what the FUTURE holds for this team. I know people are sick over THAT game but words from the past say "Yo,RO,time to move on". Lets "move on". Just my opinion.:crystal:

4. LSUDeek

I disagree. Jessie Daniels and Laron Landry ****ed up. They are 4th year seniors and should know the defensive playbook back and forth. They should know that if the tight end blocks them and releases into the back of the end zone, that he needs to be covered. I really cannot believe that these simple facts have not been drilled into their heads by the #1 defensive coordinator in the country.

I do not know how you can blame Miles and the staff for all three punt and kick return men fumbling at various times this season.

In pressure filled situations, big players make big plays. These players choked.

5. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

nice breakdown

it's clear to me that we had the talent to beat both Auburn and Florida but our team wasn't mentally prepared.... We simply do not take advantage of opportunities while our opponents do...

Les Miles is 1-5 vs top 10 teams?

I tried to put las year's ASU and TENN game in a lock-box but Miles is just stubborn. It took him two games to figure out that the chitty soft cover zone wasn't going to work.. It took the rest of America 10 minutes...

We did play up to our potential vs Miami..

IMO, the players deserve better...

Having Les Miles on the sidelines vs. a top 10 opponenet is like going to a gunfight with a butter knife...

C~O~A~C~H~I~N~G

6. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

The coaches cannot play the game for the team. Only the players can do that. The coaches teach them how to execute, but they cannot execute for them. Once the team takes the field, it is entirely in their hands. The coaches can take criticism of plays that are called, but the players must take the criticism for how they are executed.

7. LSUDeek

You can only tell guys so many times to concentrate on snapping the ball to the QB before he simply has to execute. You can only tell the return men to catch the ball before running with it, and secure it, so many times. Again, I challenge anyone to claim our staff isn't doing a good job of coaching that after the FIRST FUMBLE.

I think it comes back to the individual player. The 2003 NC team was filled with special kids, Lavalais, Green, Reed, Peterman, Wilkerson, Clayton, and Mauck who simply rarely if ever made mistakes.

Saban's 2004 team made the same kinds of errors all year, so it can't simply be the new staff.

8. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

I agree... and after "X" amount of times it then becomes obvious to everyone with a pulse that the message isn't getting across, for whatever reason... this seems to be the case.

who knows why? I don't. I just want it fixed and if Les can't get the message through, maybe he's not the right man for the job....

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

mental errors are a reflection of the coach and his staff

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Xavier Carter came out of the endzone & kneeled the ball on the 1 yard line after a kick off. Mental mistakes are the result of poor coaching. Plain & simple...?