Put the Blame in the Right Place

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDeek, Oct 10, 2006.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

wrong on both counts. tate casey said himself who he blocked and released into the end zone and daniels admitted he did not know the defense for the touchdown pass.

2. Tigerfan58

Tigerfan58 Founding Member

No you merely pointed out that these fine young men aren't perfect. Do you feel better about yourself now? :dis:

3. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

I have iterated in several posts and topics about the UF game, that the players put themselves in a hole and screwed up severely in the 1st 3 qtrs. Now how much of this comes down to poor coaching or the players lack of focus and not ready to play, I don't know. The stuff that happened (2 muffed kicks and fumbling snaps) are so mundane and taken for granted, I have no idea why these things happened as much as they did in that UF game.

However, as much as the players making the mistakes put the team in a big hole in the first 3 qtrs and the score was 23-7, the coaches have to adjust for the deficit. The coaches made no game plan adjustments in the 3rd qtr, but continued to run the ball up the middle with the same guys that have done nothing against the likes of Tulane and MSU, yet they try to run against one of the best run defenses in the country.

In the middle of the 3rd qtr down by 3 scores, the clock is the enemy so why are you running the ball? The UF def was alternating their D-line, the hurry up offense should've been implemented in the 3rd to try and get a needed score and hopefully wear down the UF def and shift momentum. Why did the coaching staff not do anything different in the game plane until the midpoint of the 4th qtr with the hurry up offense?

Running the hurry up in the 3rd would've kept the D-line from alternating which would've wore them out and possible open up a running game, UF would have given LSU the 10-15 yard pass underneath, lull them into watching for the 10 yd pass then go deep, but nothing about their game plan changed until it was way too late. At that point they started running the hurry up UF was giving them the short passes.

The one thing that can be taken from this coaching staff, mainly the offense, is that they are hard headed and try to force the original game plan even though it isn't working, and they don't make adjusts in time if at all and this always happens in the big games. The UT and ASU game of last season and the AU and UF game of this year are prime examples. Yes we won the ASU game but we were very fortunate and the offense plan didn't change till the last minutes of play.

So I am not content to put all the blame on the players, because despite the players making so many mistakes the coaches are the ones that coach them and the coaches are supposed to be able to make adjustments on game day to hopefully spark the team and keep the opposing team off balance and guessing. This staff has proven they are not capable or are not willing to do this on big games. LSU could've have won the UF game despite the mistakes with the proper play calling and adjustments, at that point in a game you have to take chances and try different things.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I don't either, and neither does anyone else despite their convictions.

So that they wouldn't know what we were doing. We were trying to keep them off-balance and force them to atleast somewhat respect the run, which was being relatively effective.

Not working? What wasn't working about it when we drove down the field twice in a row on what should've both been touchdowns? The offensive gameplan would've been fine if it were not for the mental errors of the team.

Did you see the statistic where 0 of 50 (I think) teams have won after turning the ball over 5 or more times? When you shoot yourself in the foot as badly as we did, even a great gameplan may not be enough.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I'm always amazed how fans know what the outcome would have been if the coaches called different plays.

This is what I do know. After we cut the lead to 23-10 early in the 4th quarter, we had 2 more possessions to score. We threw the ball almost every down. Both possessions ended in an INT.

Would we have won the game by throwing almost every down starting in the 3rd quarter? I have no crystal ball, but if the 4th quarter is any indication, I'd have to say no. It's likely JR would have ended up with more than 3 picks.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Jessie Daniels took responsibiity for that play and the wide open receiver on the other Tebow touchdown . . . and for the muffed punt, too.

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I put it on Laron because he was the man that was initially blocked by Casey. Usually it is the strong safety that would be coming up in run support vs the free safety who should be better in pass coverage.

I already mentioned the other touchdown, and I'm not at all sure why he would be at fault on the Chevis muff. Linkage?

8. Consensus

Consensus Founding Member

:lol: I can't believe you quoted Mack Brown, but completely missed the tongue-in-cheek nature of his comment. He was saying that players get the credit for the wins, and that coaches get the blame for the losses - Not that players deserve all the credit for wins, and coaches deserve all the blame!

Mack's point was actually the opposite of yours!

:lol: :po: What a ridiculous statement!

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The strong safety ususally covers the tight end.

It's something I heard on the radio and could be wrong. I assumed he meant he was blocking on the LSU punt that was blocked.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Miles has no control over this team

Let's just come to grips with reality