Putting into Perspective

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Nick Saban's teams have all gotten better as the season progresses. The team that lost today to a top 15 opponent in a game that could have easily gone the other way is a lot better than the 2001 team at the point of the season when they lost to Ole Miss. That team ended up as SEC and Sugar Bowl Champions and was probably as good as the Miami team that won the 2001 NC in the last game they played against Illinois. If they had played the Georgia team that struggled to beat Marshall today they would have probably won. Auburn is a better team than Georgia right now but the Dawgs will be better in 2 weeks. So will LSU.

Marcus Randall may not be setting the world on fire but he is a better QB than he was in 2002. JaMarcus Russell may end up as one of LSU's all time greatests quarterbacks but it won't happen overnight. If Matt Mauck had stayed here for his senior year I have no doubt that the Tigers would have beaten Auburn by at least 2 touchdowns. But he didn't. He is a rookie with the Denver Broncos. Rohan Davey would have shredded the Auburn D but he is the backup QB for the Patriots now. Russell will lead us to championships but he still has a lot to learn. Right now he is not as good as Florida's Chris Leak was last year as a true freshman in his 3rd game. He has all the physical tools to play on Sundays one day but he is still trying to learn the mental skills he absolutely must have to be a winner in the SEC.

To everybody who questions Saban's call of putting Russell into the game on the next drive after Randall had led the Tigers to a TD on the open drive the fact is that JR did lead the team to a scoring drive that might have ended up as a TD instead of a field goal except for the drive killing holding penalty.

LSU might not go to the Orange Bowl this year but then again there are still 8 games to play. They will get better and better each week. The defense will be better than today's defense that held a top 15 team with 2 first round picks at running back to 10 points. (9 points but for a bogus call by the zebras) Its too bad that LSU and Auburn are both in the SEC West. I would love to see LSU play Auburn in December. Auburn will be then what they are now- A team with a very good defense and a great ground attack. They are now about as good as they will get. By December LSU will again have a great defense and a much better offense.

2. stamant79

stamant79 Founding Member

Great post and right on :thumb:

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i dont live in the past but a quick image went through my mind with Rohan on that field today. Oh what I woulda paid to see that. More than that 59.95 for Delahoya/Hopkins. I think we woulda 'squeaked' it out. But then I picture Bo Jackson. Damn.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't live in the past either but I used Saban's track record since he has been at LSU to point out the probability of a much better team near season's end than they are now. I wish I could live in the past when I was younger and actually scored with babes like the ones in your avatars.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This game was not an ass-whippin'. It was a one-point loss. And early season losses to ranked opponents are better than late-season losses. Nobody thought we were going to go undefeated this year. Hell, we won the NC without going undefeated last year.

As far as losses go, this one ain't too bad. Auburn is going to have some losses, too.

The 2.6-Million-Dollar Man will make a go of this season, yet.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Excellent post, Bengal B!!!! :thumb:

7. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

Bengal B, it is time to wake up and eat breakfast. By the way, who the hell is Cindy and why were you smacking your lips all night in your sleep? :thumb:

8. LSULax22

LSULax22 Freshman

Whether or not LSU goes undefeated this year (obviously can't happen now) many people have been talking about how some of the top elite teams (USC, LSU, OU, etc) will have numbers in their loss columns. I love the tigers and what happened last year was great but we need to look past last year and into this year and next year. This year is going to be a warmup for Russel and next year there is going to be a veteran squad with Russel, Broussard, Addai, and Vincent in the backfield. Our Offensive line will lose Wilkerson to graduation and that is it. Our prospects are great and for the next few years we are going to be the elite team in the NCAA.

9. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I'm sorry, Bengal B, but I'm gonna have to beg to differ. I see absolutely ZERO improvement in MR from his sophomore to senior seasons. There were times out there when he just looked completely lost...inexcusable for a fifth-year senior. In addition, when you throw the bubble screen to your receiver on the bounce, it's time to go with the stronger arm. It's time for people to be realistic, take the loyalty blinders off, and face the fact that MR, while a good kid, just doesn't have what it takes to be a starting QB in the SEC. They also need to realize that yes, we are going to lose a game or two while
    JR is undergoing his baptism of fire. But in the long run, it's far better to lose those games getting him some experience that he's going to need down the road, than lose them w/ MR taking all the snaps and JR rusting on the bench.