QB battles & predictions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by diamondheadtiger, May 8, 2004.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

You seem to be missing the boat by a mile or two. I'm one that thinks Randall begins the season as the starter but more likely than not doesn't end the season as the starter and it has nothing to do with confidence. It has everything to do with more talented athletes getting enough reps to close the gap experience wise to a point that Randalls experience no longer outweighs their talent. I think we can win with Randall as the starter but believe that he doesn't possess the talent that the two younger QB's do. Thats not bashing Randall I support him 100% but I believe that at some point one of the two youngsters will pass him. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I have news for you all.
    I will be the next starter at qb for LSU..... :shock:

LOL,
    One of my other Aliases :lol: :rofl:

3. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I'll support whoever is QB as well, but the ONLY reason Randall gets pulled at any point during the season is because he done made some crucial mistakes. Don't give me that one of the freshmen advanced that much that he took over the job. Once the season begins, the job is Randall's, and if he losses it, it will only be because Saban thinks he can't get it done. I'm just stating that alot of posters here want to call themselves on the Randall wagon, and in the same sentence think that he will be replaced. How you see that as missin a boat? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Come to think of it, your avatar does show some semblance of a throwing motion!

:lol: :hihi: :grin:

5. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

There is a long time between now and kickoff with Oregon State. :cool:

6. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

I love the way that Saban continues to manipulate the media into believing that there is no QB controversy at LSU. Randall has stated that these guys are right on his butt and he is trying to use it as motivation. By stating that Randall is #1 and sticking to his guns, Saban has again "controlled" the situation.

I anticipate that Randall will be the starter going into OSU. I think he will be the Randall that we have all seen before. He looks awesome at times, and lackluster at others. That has been the story of his career. We saw more of that at the Spring Game. I think Randall will start, likely make several good plays with several poor decisions, yielding to one of the freshmen. Its up to the freshmen to make the most of their opportunity and make Saban have to manage the media even more.

What bothers me most about Randall at the helm is how the team performs while he is in there. The biggest difference I see is how they seem to elevate their level of play when another QB is playing. They don't play poorly with Randall in, but they don't seem to step it up when he is in there. I saw this again in the Spring Game when Russell changed sides. The White team seemed to elevate its game a bit. At least that's how I saw it.

7. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Hmm...You don't buy backups making moves up the depth chart during the course of a season, Dheadtiger?

I wonder...Did Rohan make a move in 2000? Was it not apparent to EVERYONE out there who was the more talented, and more possessed of intangible leadership skills between Booty and Davey? Did that happen overnight, or did slowly but surely did Rohan prove himself to his team and the staff as he came back from adversity (read: knee injury)?

I mean, was it not apparent that when he was healthy, though Booty was the starter that Davey became the #1?

Even BETTER example...Did Randall not start out the 2001 season as the backup to Davey? Of course he did. What happened? Over the course of the season, Matt Mauck developed, and moved ahead of him on the depth chart, to the point where he took over for an injured Davey in the '01 debacle at home against FU...

You cannot say that it is not possible. Hell, look at Leak last year at Florida, or how Greene overcame Shockley's sheer athleticism with more and more time at the helm in Georgia? Even better than that, look at Jared Lorenzen, who overtook Dusty Bonner after Bonner went bananas on the SEC the year AFTER Tim Couch left? Lorenzen was a redshirt freshmen who overtook the incumbent's job, and this decision was made AFTER SPRING PRACTICE.

So, anyone who says you can't make a decision during the spring, or that movements can't be made amongst backups and starters is just taking a philosophical stand that flies in the face of documentable, factual happenings in collegiate football, in our very own conference, merely to prop up their own argument.

Randall very well may be the #1 at the outset, only to be perhaps #3 by the end of the year. Flynn might start #3, fight his way up to #2, and then start in our bowl game. Who knows? It is possible, however improbable it may be to some people.

But, I will say it once, and I'll say it again. Our success next year lies in Marcus Randall's hands. Eli Manning didn't overtake Romaro Miller at Ole Miss his RS Freshman season. I don't know if Russell or Flynn are as proven quantities as what Manning turned out to be, but I know that Randall can win with championships on the line, and he can elevate the play of those around him.

Anyone who says he cannot is ignoring the Kentucky performance, the Ole Miss performance, the Arkansas performance, and the 1st half against Texas. He's capable, and he's proven it. To say otherwise is foolish.

8. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Everybody has their own opinion, but I don't see Saban taking Randall out as the starter, no matter how good one of the others perform in practice, which we know is totally different than gameday, unless Randall makes alot of bad choices and it costs the Tigers dearly.
    The Booty/Rohan thing was plain & simple, the team played ball for Rohan and they did'nt for Booty.
    Like I said, I will support whoever is QB, but if you claim to be drivin that Randall bus, you can't possibly say, "he'll start the year out, but he'll be pulled at some point in the season".