QB ... Both will play for ASU ... Saban says

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ramah, Sep 6, 2004.

1. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Though he didn't name a starter ... it'll very likely be Randall ... Nick said both will play ... but we already knew that

Would you like to see that again ... :hihi:

THAT ENDS IT ... FOR NOW ... it's a good competitive situation, good for the team and good for LSU's chances of running the table ...

I said it ... running the table ... WE'LL FLATTEN THE WHOLE BUNCH OF 'EM

http://www.lsusports.net/headline1.html?ref=D6B56D7A-D96A-CF76-ED9291C83E053F2D

On the quarterback situation...
    "Let me just say this, I think it's a tribute to both guys that they went in and out of the game in the second half, and both ended up making plays that contributed to the success that we had coming back in the game. So, I think that it would be safe to say that we'll probably end up playing two quarterbacks."

"I'm not sure that I'm ready to say who's going to start the game, but I'm not sure that that's really the issue here. I think the issue is that we need better execution at the quarterback position. We want both guys to continue to improve, we need both guys to continue to improve and we're going to work both guys so that they can improve and give them both an opportunity to most likely play in this game. So, in practice this week we'll have something do with how those guys do."

On the injury situation...
    "From an injury standpoint, (OG) Will Arnold (knee) and (WR) Skyler Green (ankle) are probably both questionable for this game. I don't think Skyler's hurt any worse than he was before, but when he jumped up on the incomplete pass on the fourth-down play when we didn't score, he reinjured his ankle and to that point it hadn't really given him any problems. So, we don't know at this point for sure, but the one thing we don't want to happen is for this to be a recurring season long type of thing. He had 10 days or 11 days to get well, and it took him about a week to get well before he could practice and go out there at least be 80 percent. It didn't really bother him in the game, but it would be a stretch to think that he could get back this quickly to be able to play six days from now."

"Will got an MCL. It's not severe, but it's probably a week or two deal. It would be questionable as to whether he could play this week. (Center) Ben (Wilkerson) will be out of practice today, but we expect him to be back tomorrow. He just got a slight knee strain late in the game, continued to play with it. It shouldn't really be a problem."

On Arkansas State...
    "Arkansas State played really well against Missouri, especially on offense. They threw up 438 yards and scored 17 points in the first half. They really looked good offensively. Steve Roberts does a really good job, I think, of coaching these guys. The two new quarterbacks that they have both played extremely well in the game. So, we're really always going to respect our opponents, but I think it's more important at this time what our team does relative to the situation that they're in rather than it is who we're playing. And that's not to disrespect anyone, but I would say that regardless of who our opponent was this week."

On his team this week...
    "The key focus for us is to get better execution and to get it right with our guys. I'm hopeful that nobody is relieved that we won the game and that they see this as an opportunity to learn from an inability to execute, regardless of the circumstances, and how with the proper execution we can have a lot more success. The real key is going to be on the improvement. That's what we want to focus on."

"I didn't see a lot of loafing out there, I didn't see a lot of guys not trying hard or playing hard. So, to go criticize effort or competitive spirit probably wouldn't be the right thing. I just think a little more of a mental sense of urgency to execute and get things done correctly, and believe that that's what is going to help you have success, is going to be a real key for us to be able to play smart. Playing smart is doing the right things together, and that's something that we need to make some improvements on."

:hihi:

My favorite part ... coach thinks they played like they're ate up with the dumbass ... poor Indians ... they're in the "eye" of the Tiger ... there ain't no other team on earth for LSU ... total focus ... on the Indians as the cause for their doghouse status with the coach ...

it's gonna be something fun to watch ... I hope Nick falls asleep during the game ... and forgets to turn the switch off and call off the dogs :wink:

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Randall will probably look great against one of the worst teams in college football and everybody will be singing his praises again.

Nick wakes up from his nap with 10 minutes left in the game and looks at the scoreboard with 80 points for LSU and thinks he must be dreaming. :lol:

3. max

max Founding Member

I think just the opposite.

I think that he looked at the tape and it was obvious that he had to start Russell. I think he says he will play both so if Russell doesn't look that good, he will already have said he is going to use both. Notice he just said we will probably use both guys not we will use both guys. If he was going to start Randall he would have announced it then to put the thing to rest. Both will probably play if the score gets out of hand but don't be so sure that Russell won't play the whole game if he is getting in a groove with the receivers.

We all need to get behind Russell. He has waited his turn. He is our starter.

4. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

Nick supported Randall all summer and all of the first 3 series of the year.

It's time to move on. You guys are NUTZZZZZZZZZZ if you think Russell won't get at least 2-3 quarters this weekend. Look for Flynn to play the fourth quarter.

The Randall experiment is over. Russell needs "on the job training" for AU.

5. HittinZX2

HittinZX2 Living to die laughing

I agree with this as well, I think we need all cylinders clicking before the Auburn game. Not sure how good I feel still experimenting before SEC play, but I'm not the coach so I'm sure they're prepared for that.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Bingo, Bango, Boingo!

You got it. Randall needs to get his confidence back by playing the 4th quarter in a mop up duty so that he can come in should Russell get injured. And let's get Russell past these cramping problems, please.

Russell will play 3. Flynn will more than likely not play. We can't afford taking away snaps from Russell and Randall just to get Flynn in the game.

If Miss. St. were the next opponent, then I would say things would be different, and you see split time between Russell and Randall and the 4th played by Flynn. But there is a sense of urgency to get the QB situation somewhat solidified for the Auburn game.

7. ExoticGlass1

ExoticGlass1 Founding Member

I hope nick starts Russell and lets him no now so we can see how he prepares himself and handles the game from the beginning. the emotion is much higher at the beginning of the game then at half time so if he starts we can get an idea of how he handles instead of coming in later with a lead and it turns into a scrimmage. I was really impressed with his poise standing in the pocket and sensing the pressure, some throws were off but you can just tell by his mechanics how good a passer he will be.

8. islstl

Russell, after getting that first drive going and completing a few passes, even showed a swagger that I was happy to see. This kid wants it, and wants it badly. I love that about him. He has tasted of the fruit, and he wants more. He will get plenty more.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Flynn will play. Bet on it. Saban already knows what Randall can and can't do. If Russell were to get injured sometime during the season we need to get Flynn some experience.

10. islstl

Randall will be 2nd string, not Flynn the rest of the season.

Or maybe I misunderstood your post, that you are saying we simply need to get him experience in case Russell goes down and Flynn is called into service. I guess you could say that in the event either of the 2 QBs get injured.