QB Hayden Rettig to transfer

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Cajun Sensation, May 31, 2014.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Sorry to see him go, but definitely not surprised. Wish him the best of luck. Hopefully this helps with Gipson. Miles needs to figure out if he wants a pro style QB or a duel threat and stick to recruiting that type player.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That's why you don't let them ride the pine. Rettig should still be in the mix since the other two quarterbacks did not have any more experience than he did. It takes drop-back passers more time to develop, just look at Mettenberger. But you don't have to make them feel like they will never get a shot because you are in love with dual-threat quarterbacks . . . not one of which has ever been successful here.

3. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Miles' Achilles heel: His love for dual-threat QB's.

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Flynn
    JR
    Lee
    Mett

Dual Threat:
    JJ

TigerTap likes this.
  5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Point taken, but I'm not sure I'd consider Flynn purely a drop-back passer. He had good mobility and would run the option occasionally. He's sort of in the gray area between the two categories.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

HUH?

Dual threat means that, a running QB & Passing. Not a mobile QB in the pocket.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Man I couldn't agree with this more. I personally have never liked the dual threat quarterback because 9 times out of 10 they aren't a dual threat, they run really well and have arm strength, but no accuracy and no organ between the ears that allows them to read defenses pre snap, go through progressions, check down when needed, or continue to look downfield to throw when the pocket collapses.

I've only seen 2 real dual threat qb's in the last 10 years, Cam Newton and Johnny Manziel.

red55 likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

In a nutshell, its the tendency among them to not go through all of the progressions before opting to run. Planned quarterback runs can be flashy, but it tends to get quarterbacks hurt and we will be very thin at QB. We have running back to run the ball. In this league we need a passer or there will not be a championship of any kind. I don't care if he's a drop-back, rollout, option, dual threat, or an X-Man mutant . . . when he throws, he must be accurate at every range and smart enough to thwart complex modern defenses designed to confuse quarterbacks. Effective passing is the "threat" that we need at quarterback.

If these green dual-threat quarterbacks go the way of Russell Shepard, we will miss Rettig and Rivers very quickly.

Kal-El012 likes this.
  9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Shep an Harris are light years apart, one thing Shep never had was a Cam. Cam can adapt to whatever QB he has. Look no further than his time at Indiana, he took a WR/Ath playing QB and set records.

The same year Shep came out, the top 40 players, LSU signed 5 of them. Shep, Chris Davenport, Michael Ford and Craig Loston, what do all these have in common? Undrafted. The only top 40 player drafted in that class, Rueben Randle. A few more in that same class.....

LB Lamin Barrow, Marrero, La. (John Ehret HS)
    DE Michael Brockers, Houston, Texas (Chavez HS)
    ATH Morris Claiborne, Shreveport, La. (Fair Park HS)
    DL Josh Downs, Bastrop, La. (Bastrop HS)
    OL Chris Faulk, Slidell, La. (Northshore HS)
    LB Tahj Jones, Sulphur, La. (Sulphur HS)
    DE Bennie Logan, Coushatta, La. (Red River HS)
    LB Barkevious Mingo, West Monroe, La. (West Monroe HS)
    LB Kevin Minter, Suwanee, Ga. (Peachtree Ridge HS)
    DE Sam Montgomery, Greenwood, S.C. (Greenwood HS)
    OL Josh Williford, Dothan, Ala. (Houston Academy)

How did those lower rated players do? Brockers, Claiborne, Downs, Faulk, Logan, Montgomery, Mingo, Barrow, to name a few. Too often LSU will offer a kid, some unrated or two star, he then jumps up to a 3 star player. The staff knows more than payed scouts.

I wish Rettig the best. The last time LSU lost a QB that went on to do good........

Looking back, Shep maybe should have played the position his brother Nick did, DB. I wish him the best, Shep is still trying to learn the WR position with Tampa Bay.

cajdav1, P&G_wheelz007 and TigerTap like this.
  10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Are Harris and Jennings really considered dual-threat QBs? Neither have much of a problem getting that ball downfield. I always felt they were better classified as "mobile" QBs than dual-threat QBs. I don't think that either of them are fast enough to warrant that consideration. Their arms are what will drive the offense, not their legs.

Also, from everything I have heard, Rettig was every bit as mobile.

ParadiseiNC and Winston1 like this.