QB Hayden Rettig to transfer

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Cajun Sensation, May 31, 2014.

1. didit

didit Veteran Member

exactly... no coach is going to just play a guy to keep him from leaving... he plays if he can help the team, no matter what position... i think most players respect that process... some guys recognize that a player is better and waits his turn, some think they're better and tries to compete to win the job back and some cut and run for playing time elsewhere... the coaches saw something that made them put two freshmen above him on the depth chart...

LSUDad likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In these times its going to be very difficult to keep a very good backup quarterback unless the starter is a senior or at least a junior who is good enough to go pro and the backup know he will get his shot next year. Any other situation the backup is going to transfer. Its amazing that Matt Flynn stayed at LSU for 5 years waiting his turn. With Jennings only a true sophomore and Harris a true freshman its almost inevitable that the loser of the quarterback derby will transfer next year. Rettig saw the writing on the wall and made his move.

LSUDad likes this.
  3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Desperate times call for desperate measures s is the case when almost any JUCO prospect is signed by a school in the Big 5.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It helps the team not to be thin at quarterback, too. A coach must be aware of this. He knows that he must develop upperclassmen and not have to rely on the next hot freshman every year. It's not like the three green quarterbacks had accomplished anything on the field yet. It's not good for Les or LSU for players to leave this soon . . . with all four years of eligibly here remaining. After Rivers left, they should have made more effort to retain Rettig.

Kal-El012 likes this.
  5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

we still have Bolden..

plotalot likes this.
  6. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's such a great QB they moved him to receiver.

7. didit

didit Veteran Member

How do you know they didn't try everything to keep him... Unless they planned to go into this year with only two qbs (which I doubt), i'm almost positive they gave him the same promise they give every recruit... he's going to get every chance in practice to compete for the starting position... usually a kid can see when he's been passed by a player that's just better than him... look at Hilliard... dude had a very good freshman year and then Hill showed up and surpassed him on the depth chart... he could've left and went somewhere else but he stayed... Shep came as the no. 1 recruit in the country at qb and left as a slash type player... maybe his ceiling was lower than their floor...

8. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

He was apparently good enough to start as a true freshman at Penn State. He switched to WR since he is more likely to see playing time at that position. If anything were to sideline either Jennings or Harris, he would more than likely move back to QB as the #2 guy.

9. Kal-El012

Doesn't matter who won the QB position battle this season, the outlook would have been not so great anyway.

Miles fumbles another QB decision away because his boner for Harris kept him from receiving the snap.

I personally would have liked to see a season of Rivers, in continuation of what we saw with Mettenberger. That gives a season to develope Jennings and Harris, and develope a gameplan for the both of them. I don't see how that would have been less successful than what we will see when Harris gets thrown to the wolves.

shane0911 likes this.
  10. Kal-El012

Good enough to start in the BIG 10 and good enough to start in the SEC is two totally different things in my opinion. And since you say that, are we to believe that Harris and Jennings are far better than Bolden since he is not being considered in the QB scenario?

From what has been seen over the past 10 years, I believe Miles plays favorite, instead of picking the best man for the job talent wise.

Chief doesn't play favorites and puts the talent on the field where it belongs, which leads to success on defense and what has carried Les Miles offenses. Expect more of the same. Should be an exciting season....

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    shane0911 likes this.