QB Hayden Rettig to transfer

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Cajun Sensation, May 31, 2014.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Everyone seems to be forgetting about pocket passer Kragthorpe who was out performing Rettig at times this Spring. It isn't like we are actually going into the season with 2 QBs.

Bottom Line: Rettig and Rivers would be here still if they were performing well enough to play.

StaceyO, LSUMASTERMIND and didit like this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

What I'm talking about is completely failing to mention him when talking about the QB competition. All the ink has gone to Harris and Jennings, who both still have as much to prove as Rettig. Coaches realize that even the number three guys need to have something to play for, deserve encouragement, and get rewarded with playing time. Rettig didn't get much PT in the Spring game.

I realize that players will transfer for PT, I just think that when they do it right after a redshirt year, with all their eligibility ahead of them, that something is wrong and bad for the team.

shane0911 and Kal-El012 like this.
  3. red55

Having to count on a walk-on quarterback in the SEC seems kind of like poor planning, don't you think?

Rivers transferring after graduating and giving it three years doesn't bother me at all. He did his best here and made a good decision. But Rettig's best years are ahead of him. It's not what he can do today that is important, but what he could do after a couple of more years. Flynn had to back up Russell for years but was encouraged, got some PT, and blossomed when he got his chance and was ready. Transferring out of frustration this early in a career is something that coaches have to work against.

I hope Rettig find a spot at another Division I school and succeeds and ends up with an NFL shot. But it will surely make Les look bad if these dual threat quarterbacks turn into Lee and Jefferson.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    shane0911 likes this.
  4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

How much ink does the third string quarterback ever get?

LSUDad likes this.
  5. red55

Just enough to make him feel appreciated. Especially in a "Wide-open" competition. I noticed that Cameron would mention Rettig when being interviewed. Les rarely did.

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Yep, it was known that Rettig came in out of shape from high school.
    It's also known Cam likes his QB's to know the offense and be able to run it at a fast pace.
    Like I said, everyone gets the same shot, it's what you do with it.

To think this only happens at LSU, think again, like I said, over 30 QB's have moved on this year.

How bad is QB play at Fla? Two QB's transferred out this year. An the starter is a Sr this year.

didit likes this.
  7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rettig was so good a kid not even in college beat him out. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said days ago, if LSU ever finds itself down to its 3rd string QB in a season, there are problems far beyond who is starting.

8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

If people want to look back, in 2010, 11 and 12, the top 30 QB's (4 and 5* players), 19 of them have failed at the school they signed with. Think of that one, the 4 and 5 * player, 19 have washed out. Want the list?
    Remember Phillip Sims, started at bama, transferred to Virginia, his next stop Winston-Salem.

Like I said, everyone is a better QB than the starter. Its the coaches fault, got to blame someone, its never the players fault.

didit and LSUpride123 like this.
  9. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Russell Wilson agree with you.

Just being better is enough in most cases. Things such as eligibility remaining and team chemistry are also considered.

You see it this way when Miles makes his pick and it doesn't happen to be your favorite. He doesn't always play my favorites either, but I will defer my judgement of talent to Miles since he has a lot more experience in this than I do and is privy to information about all his players that I can only speculate on.

You mean like that Welter kid, that most everyone here dogged last season? I'm sure glad he and the rest of the defense bailed out that pathetic offensive performance.

You mean double digit wins and a legitimate chance to win it all? Yes it will be exciting looking forward to it.

Robidoux87, VampMuse, didit and 2 others like this.
  10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Nobody's counting on him. That's why he's third-string.

Do me a favor and let me know which team in the country would not be totally screwed if they were down to their 3rd-string QB. I'll wait. I don't care if he's on scholarship, walk-on, fell out of the sky, found under a rock...the 3rd-string QB will never be expected to do what's expected of the 1st-stringer. And if the coaches think the walk-on gives us better odds of not fucking-up (b/c that's what the 3rd-stringer's role is at that point), then by golly, we'll just have to believe them. There is no intrinsic value assigned to a scholarship player that states they will necessarily be better than non-scholly players.

Your hair is on fire over nothing.

Robidoux87, LSUDad, didit and 3 others like this.