QB Mettenberger dismissed from UGA team

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Deceks7, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

QB Mettenberger dismissed from UGA team | UGA sports blog

UGA sports blog
    QB Mettenberger dismissed from UGA team

5:05 pm April 18, 2010, by Tim Tucker
    (Updated 7:30 p.m.)

Georgia quarterback Zach Mettenberger, who had been in a three-way competition for the Bulldogs’ starting job, was kicked off the team Sunday by coach Mark Richt.
    Richt made the announcement in a brief news release that said only that Mettenberger was dismissed for violation of team rules.
    The dismissal apparently is related to Mettenberger’s March 7 arrest outside a bar in Remerton, Ga., near Valdosta. Mettenberger, 18, was charged with underage possession/consumption of alcohol, disorderly conduct, obstruction and two counts of having false identification .
    Georgia associate athletics director Claude Felton told the AJC on Sunday that “there was not a new incident involving Zach.” Felton said Richt informed Mettenberger of his dismissal Sunday.
    Felton declined further comment and said Richt would have no comment Sunday.
    Reached by the AJC on his cell phone Sunday night, Mettenberger said: “I’m not going to talk to you, sir.” Asked if he wanted to address the dismissal, Mettenberger replied: “No thank you.”
    Richt previously had said Mettenberger would be suspended for at least Georgia’s Sept. 4 season opener against Louisiana-Lafayette because of the early-March arrest on the five misdemeanor charges, but the coach had left open the possibility of sterner punishment if more information became available about the case.
    Remerton Police Chief Mike Terrell told the AJC on March 8 that his department was “still investigating the circumstances that led to [the] arrest.” In a March 29 e-mail to the AJC, Terrell said the investigation was “still pending” and no more information available. Terrell could not be reached Sunday.
    Mettenberger’s dismissal from the team reduces the current competition for Georgia’s No.1 quarterback job to Logan Gray, a junior, and Aaron Murray, who like Mettenberger is a redshirt freshman. Another quarterback, Hutson Mason from Lassiter High School in Marietta, will join the Georgia program this summer.
    Mettenberger’s Georgia career ends without him ever playing in a game for the Bulldogs.
    A graduate of Oconee County High School, he was redshirted as a freshman last fall. He participated in all 15 sessions of Georgia’s spring practice, which ended with the G-Day intra-squad scrimmage on April 10.
    Mettenberger displayed his strong arm on G-Day, putting up the best statistical performance of the three quarterbacks. He completed six of 10 passes for 150 yards and two touchdowns.
    However, Mettenberger was the only one of the three quarterbacks who did not take any snaps with the first-team offense at G-Day. He played with the second-team offense and against the second-team defense.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I used to not like Richt that much because of his whining about Georgia not being in the BCSNC the last time we won it; but I'm beginning to really change my opinion of him. This decision of Richt to not tolerate any disruptions to team discipline off the field leaves me with a lot more respect for him.

How do you think Urban Meyer would have handled the same situation. How did Urbn Meyer handle the Takeo Spikes assault (eye Gauging) situation?

Coach Richt, you're establishing your position as a real leader and I wish you the best of luck with regards to your being on the hot seat...except when you play the Tigers. :thumb:.

3. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

I'm confident you intended to list Brandon Spikes as the eye-gouger since Takeo played for Auburn in a different decade.

Re: Coach Richt ..... I do like Richt and have been very impressed with him the few times I've met him. However, in this instance, once the rest of the facts are released, I suspect you'll see that Richt had no choice but to release Mettenberger. Ironic that another "berger" is also experiencing problems in the state of georgia, huh? (Roethlesberger)

Mettenberger's release also clears the way for UGA to provide a better opportunity for #1 ranked QB recruit Christian LeMay. LeMay's father has already weighed-in on the matter, stating:

[​IMG]

4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Richt has always been a stand up coach IMHO, with the exception of his whining a few years back. His situation though does show just how tough it is to remain a coach in the SEC. Overall he is a solid winning coach, but fails to reach the top of the mountain, remaining in the shadows of UF and Urban Meyer. A place that is unacceptable to the fan bases of the top SEC football fans expectations.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

He would have been promoted under Meyer.

I agree with you, i didn't really care for Richt that much, until i saw that piece ESPN did on him about how he took in the 2 kids from the Ukraine. Football aside he seems like a quality human being if i can steal one from Miles.

6. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Takeo, my apologies I did mean Brandon Spikes. Thanks cadillac for pointing this out....My bad....Takeo, Please yank the change on my head :lol:. Brandon was indeed the gouger. Sorry.

7. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

i got a buddy who is a big time UGA fan and from GA and when i talked to him today about this he said rumor is it does stem from the prior arrest. He says he apparently tested positive for cocaine afterwards and stories came out that he was snorting it off of strippers. Not looking good for the kids future if that was or turns out to be the case.:rofl::popcorn:

8. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I do not doubt that Richt may be a good man, but I have to question the idea of him being a real leader. Being reactive is not being a leader:

Fulmer Cup - SAS Wiki
    2010 Scoreboard, April 20th

Also check out the all-time scoreboard, the 2006 scoreboard, the 2007 scoreboard, the 2008 Scoreboard, and the 2009 Scoreboard.
    Rank School Points +/- Details

1st ECU Pirates 15 -- Drinking, cursing, shouting, and being rude, 2 Bad Drunks, Drinking and peeing [​IMG] 2nd Louisiana-Lafayette Cajuns 13 +13 4 Players Growing Weed 3rd Oregon Ducks 11 -- Assault, Two more assaults, Point adjustment 4th Duke Blue Devils 9 -- Shooting guns 5th Georgia Bulldogs 7 -- Fake IDs, drinking, disorderly conduct, obstruction, Domestic violence
    Fulmer Cup Dynasty - SAS Wiki

An all-time scoreboard for the Fulmer Cup.
    1st: Illinois Fighting Illini 45 points and one Fulmer Cup (2007)
    2nd: Florida Gators 43 points and one Ellis T. Jones III Award (2007)
    3rd: Penn State Nittany Lions 38 points
    4th: Alabama Crimson Tide 37 points and one Fulmer Cup (2008) plus one Ellis T Jones III Award (2008)
    5th: Georgia Bulldogs 35 points