QB situation:

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by pensacola, May 27, 2006.

1. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

This is how I would see it-

The goals for Miles in 2006 with the QB postion will be to 1) win games and 2) keep Perrilloux from transferring after the season.

With that in mind, I would think it will go Russell, Perrilloux, Flynn if JR is healthy.

It will go Flynn, Perrilloux, Russell if JR is not fully back.

This combo would seem to guarantee all three staying (unless JR has a breakout year and goes pro). If JR sees limited time due to injury, there is no way he goes pro. Flynn won't have any transfer option left. Perrilloux is not ready to start this year.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Whoever is third string in December will likely transfer and it may not be Perrilloux. All three of these guys can start in Division I and one or two will find some greener pastures if things don't work out here. This is normal in a position wih a lot of depth.

Les Miles will find and play the best quarterback and develop reserves who is ready to go. He can't get obssessed with pleasing all three or he ain't doing his job. His job is to win, not keep teenagers happy.

LSU could have worse problems than having a top quarterback transfer because there are two better ones ahead of him.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

JR should be back.. if he plays well then it will be JR, with flynn or perrilloux (whichever is #2) coming for special plays (options, qb draws, bootlegs, etc.). If JR is not back, I think Flynn has the edge unless Perrilloux just goes buckwild in the fall...

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

For what it's worth, I think JR (if healthy) will have a break-out season. He's shown, over the last two seasons, that he can LEAD this team. He's what, 10-2, as a starter? As far as I am concerned, you can throw out that loss to Tennessee because that game was just over the entire team's heads... He could have had an All-American-type game and we probably still would have lost that game. Russell has shown that he has the athletic ability to do WHATEVER he wants to do--hopefully after 3 years in the program he will have improved intellectually. I'm not saying that he's dumb, but honestly, the QB position takes some maturity to run successfully. That maturity is only attained after years in a program, unless you're an extremely gifted prospect--again, not saying that JR isn't, but this is the SEC, man!

True LSU fans know that despite LSU's thrashing of Miami, Flynn is still behind JR in terms of experience... Miami rolled over and played dead after LSU came out hitting on all eight cylinders. It was the type of game that all Tiger fans knew LSU had in them...fortunately, Miami didn't think that LSU had it in them, and LSU steam-rolled UM.

What more do LSU fans want? We lost TWO games with JR!!! He can only get better from this point... I'm happy with "mediocrity" if it means we beat teams like Auburn, Florida, Alabama, etc.

RP doesn't have the experience to run an SEC team, and for every AA play he runs, he'll have an equal high school-type play he'll run just because of the inexperience. Matt Flynn can run our offense, but what happens when we meet a team that WON'T roll over and play dead like Miami did? It's unknown WHAT he'll do, but.... we DO know what we can expect from JR... if I were the coach, I'd go with what I know... and i "know" JR...

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Gotta love this time of year -- daily threads about a decision that we have no control over.

6. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

I agree that whoever is third after this season will transfer. I happen to think that will be Flynn. JR will be the starter, have a great year with RP getting some meaningful playing time as the backup.

7. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

JR is the odds on favorite, providing he heals his wrist. Most QB's will improve their composure and decision making after they get 1 yr. of experience under their belt as the starter, so I expect him to be better. It doesn't always happen, Josh B. remained frustrating his whole time at LSU.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Russell will be the starter. Flynn will get mop up duty when we're up by 30, Perrilloux will get a few special plays & some mop up duty behind Flynn if we get the chance.

9. youcandoit1687

youcandoit1687 Founding Member

best case scenario: JR has an amazing year and fends off the nfl, perriloux stays and flynn decides he will go the matt cassel route and play for waht is actually a b2b natl cship team. that leaves us with the same guys back for 07 and if u didnt catch on, an 06 and 07 NC. after that perriloux leads us to two more NCs. woo hoo im way ahead of myself

10. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Sounds like we need to sign a good QB recruit in the next class.