Quarterback?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BLTiger, Feb 7, 2002.

1. BLTiger

BLTiger Freshman

Just wandering who you guy's think our starting QB will be next year. Mauck looked good against Tenn., however his arm didn't look all that impressive. I have heard good things about Randall. Your thoughts.

2. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

And don't forget about Clausen. I'm not sure if he will beat out the other 2, but he will make it interesting for sure.

Spring practice should give us a better idea.

3. BBF Admin

BBF Admin Guest

The job is Matt Mauck's to lose. All he has to do is remain consistent throughout spring and fall practice.

Remember he is Saban's guy. They have a long history.

He has a good arm, just needs to work on accuracy and touch. We have already seen what he can do running the ball, and he is very intelligent.

If he is not the starter, it will be because he LOST the job, not because someone beat him out.

4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

As long as Jimbo is the captain of the offense, I have confidence that one will emerge as a first-tier QB. The skill players returning and expected improvement at OL should aid the signal-caller's development.

However, the first game on the schedule is as tough as it gets. Do you stick with your starter if he struggles early or bring in some relief if you need it? The are some patsies after V. Tech so the outcome of the opener could determine the QB for the year. If the starter plays well and wins the opener, he's the starter for the year. If not, I hope it doesn't become a revolving door.

Have all three QB's redshirted? Clausen a redshirted Fr., Mauch a redshirted Soph., Randall a redshirted Fr.? Does the lefty situation help or hinder an offense when two right handers are competing with him?

5. Ellis Hugh

You're right, BBF. He is Saban's guy, he does have an arm, and he can run.

Now his challenge is to hone his throwing skills. If he can learn to be super accurate, and develop the instincts to think quickly on his feet, then combine his arm and his legs with his brain, then he will be a great QB.

I just hope he can develop his passing. He has almost a whole year to work on it, so he shouldn't need a long "transition" come fall.

6. BLTiger

BLTiger Freshman

Thanks for the responses guys. Go Tigers.

7. MemphisTigerFan

MemphisTigerFan Freshman

Please pardon my ignorance. I am trying to understand, but I just dont have access to information up here in Memphis. I know that Mauck was recruited by Coach Saban when coach was at MSU, right? Is that what you are talking about when you say he is Saban's man. Going on that assumption, help me with a few things.

We all know after seeing Coach Saban's success in recruiting, he isn't going to recruit someone that can't do the job that he was recruited to do. Therefore, we can suspect that Mauck has the ability to get the job done at Michigan State. But, MSU is not LSU and the Big 10 is not the SEC. Isn't there enough differences in the Big 10 and SEC to negate any kind of preconcived ideas about Mauck being the heir apparent to Coach Fisher's offense. Just compare the Big 10 offenses with those of the SEC. The best team to come out of the Big 10 (Illinois-Big 10 champs) had what was considered a good air attack. I know that we had a much improved secondary at the end of the season compared to what we had in the Sugar Bowl, but Illinois didn't show me much at all. And the way that the other SEC teams treated the other Big 10 teams on New Year's Day, obvioulsy the Big 10 offenses aren't all that. We saw in the SECCG that Mauck can definitely come out and run a good ground attack. He has every bit the talent to do that as Jones at Arkansas displayed. But, a successful QB in the SEC will have to have the arm and accuracy to throw the ball. And considering the recievers that we have, it would be a shame to be a run oriented team. Can Mauck run an SEC champion caliber throwing football team.

I am not trying to put Mauck in a small box, but, I think that whoever will be the QB at LSU will have to have the complete package. He will have to be able to run the ball, pass the ball, get a handle on the entire offensive scheme, be able to adjust quickly and be able to take great direction from the coaches. That doesn't even get into the leadership qualities that a QB has to have. I believe, and may be totally wrong, that the ground is completely level. But, I also believe that we have the coaching staff capable of making great QBs out of every one of the young men that have a shot. Having said all that, I wish the best of luck to all the QBs at LSU, and only wish I could be there to watch the level of competition at spring practice. I think we will all be very happy Tiger fans for a long time to come.

Geaux Tigers........

8. Ellis Hugh

Well Memphis, to make a long story short, that is what spring practice is for. Lucky for us we have several to choose from and we can pick the best to start - unlike not having a choice and having to make do with what you got.

I can't wait for spring practice because I want to watch the QB battle myself.

9. BBF Admin

BBF Admin Guest

Memphis,

A little more info for you. Even after Mauck desided to go the baseball route when he was originally recruited by Saban, they remained in touch. Mauck played his minor league ball very near MSU, and Coach Saban would sometimes even go watch him play.

They kept in contact by phone over those years also.

They have a very good relationship. That is why I say Mauck is Saban's guy.

10. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Tunnel Vision Memphis

Memphis I believe you have looked at Mauck and closed your mind to everything other than the fact that he was recruited out of High School to go to Michigan State. Now, Mauck was a throwing QB in High School and Just because you get recruited to a Big 10 School does not mean that you can not throw the football or that you are not one of the best QB's in the Country. Saban was not a typical Big 10 coach he put up big offensive #'s at MSU he beat a very good Fla team in the Gator or Citrus Bowl before coming to LSU. I am not sure but he scored 45 points on Fla winning 45 to 42 ( dont hold me to that ). It is the kid playing QB not the system if the kid can do the things under one system he can do them under another. Saban a Defensive Coach put up Offensive #'s to win over the last 2 yrs.

If Mauck is the QB he will be a very good QB at LSU if not then he will be another good one that did not pan out. But because he was recruited to go to a Big 10 School does not mean he is not the type of QB for and SEC School.

I believe also that he is Saban guy because when called upon in 2 games this past yr Mauck did the Job. Fla and the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME Mauck moved the offense and scored points.
    So dont be so short with Mauck if he does not do the Job next year I do not think Saban will sink the team if he does not get it done.

ITS SO LOUD YOUR DEAF