Quarterback

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bandit88, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

There's certainly no controversy. If Jarrett Lee hasn't earned the right to start against Florida, then Les Miles has gone from stubborn to stupid. He's not brilliant, but I'll be surprised if he's that stupid.

The question is, will the coaches continue to insist on using Jefferson as a running QB? I hope not because it's not going to work.

Jefferson's 83 yard romp was sprung by the expectation of Shepard getting the football, and the uncertainty of the first play of the football game - the defense had to play that one honest. If Jefferson is used like a Ryan Perrilloux, it's going to fail because - as physically gifted as he is, he is not Ryan Perrilloux.

If LSU needs a running QB, then (I can't believe I'm going to type this), the answer is either Russell Shepard or SPENCER Ware. NOT Jordan Jefferson.

For a brief moment last night I thought maybe the 2 QB thing would work and be a good model for the rest of the season. Nope. Jefferson just cannot save a drive if ANYTHING goes wrong. And Lee needs to get and stay in a rhythm.

I would hope that Miles starts Lee, plays power-I football with some sweeps and reverses to keep the ends honest, and only brings Jefferson in when Lee's head gets muddled and he needs to take a series off and watch - which I think might occasionally be the case.

Either Jefferson or Lee can lead LSU to 9-3 because the LSU defense will keep the games close against most opponents.

Only Lee has the ability to beat two out of Florida, Bama, Auburn and maybe Arkansas.

Mettenberger has a real opportunity at LSU next season.

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Andre Ware? Hasn't he used his eligibility?? :D Spencer, bro. And I agree.

3. Bandit88

:rolleye33: Yikes. Time to log off, I guess. My brain is a'fire!!!

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

i think that if the coaches game plan better (like they did today) we will be OK with General Lee taking most snaps and JJ coming in to run the option. i am in the minority, but i don't have a problem with JJ running the option -- he isn't that bad. i hope that next week the defense steps up and has a better game because i was almost ashamed tonight, they looked lethargic and lackadaisical, not to mention special teams. OFFENSE won the game for LSU tonight. that's a good sign -- it means we can win when our defense and special teams don't show up. plus, how much do you love it when the other team is doing AS MUCH AS IT CAN to win the game and LSU is pretty much sucking ass and diddling around and STILL wins. how demoralizing is that?!

:geauxtige :geauxtige

5. Bandit88

Well that point (LSU playing like crap, Tennessee playing almost perfectly, LSU still wins) is not lost on me.

But at some point, you would hope to see improvement in the mistakes department. That hasn't started happening yet.

I understand WHY Crowton runs that option play with Jefferson. I do not understand why he hasn't found another more effective way to use THE ENTIRE OFFENSE instead of limiting his passing options just so he can run that one play.

1 person likes this.
  6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

good points. i don't have the slightest idea (or answer) as to why, but at least it hasn't cost us yet. as far as the mistakes (penalties,) they need to be corrected ASAP! i don't like all of these penalties all of a sudden. we were doing pretty good in that dept. :confused:

7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

This post is full of brilliance. :thumb:

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

And the fact that most of them are on offense, or if they're defensive, they're PFs. 10+ penalties/game will bite even more than no passing game. Seems like a lot of the offensive penalties occur on crucial situations that were, save for the penalty, executed will and productive.