Quarterbacks

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by grote1947, Sep 1, 2002.

1. grote1947

grote1947 Founding Member

Maybe we have a guy lurking in the team that has game but no practice. WE know we have a good practice guy in Mauck but he has no game. His job is as reliever, never a starter. What's with Claussen? Is their anyone else lingering back there that might have a game face? Practice might be where the coaches find their players, but if they can't produce in the game maybe they need to try someone else, anyone else. Look in the stands if you have to. (Student Section Only). But please look! Mauck isn't looking!

Geaux Tigers

2. Texastigers

Texastigers Guest

Well I dont know if we should Run Mauck just yet. Keep in mind this was his first game, AND near the end he did come on AND his WR's could not catch a cold today. We had two drives stopped because of a ball that hit the WR in the hands. Even if we had Rohan back, penalties, and dropped balls killed us more the Mauck did.

However, I do say I was suprised a bit, I though Mauck would have been a bit better. He was really bad today. He made some throws but your and SEC QB you are supposed to. But when we needed him he did nothing. Nor the WR's

Anyway, to answer your post. Clausen from what I have seen and read is not near as good as his brother. He is much smaller and I think Saban is hoping he can emerge in 1 or 2 years.

It is easy for us to say Bring on Randall. But I trust Saban on this one, if Mauck is our best shot, then we go with him. If we have a Bad QB then we wait for Lester or Robert Lane next year and just have a decent season.

Saban will get us there, if you base our QB on today, we got troubles. But that is way the ball bounces.

Geaux Tigers.

3. DC-Tiger

DC-Tiger Guest

Well as far as backup QBs go, there is Marcus Randall, Micheal Harrison (JC transfer), Rick Clausen and Lester Ricard (True FR).

From what I have read, Harrison has quite a way to go before he can be considered SEC caliber. Rick Clausen , as TexasTiger mentioned is not as good as Casey Clausen (though size wise he is not that small, he is 6'2", Casey is 6'5") and Lester Ricard, while very talented is a true freshman.

That leaves Marcus Randall, hopefully he will get to play in the next two matches without aggregavating his knee. From what I read, he is a better passer than Mauck and we may need that. While our WR's didnt play well today, they are very talented and we need a QB who can consistently get the ball to them.

Regarding all this hope being placed on Robert Lane, he may not even dress up for LSU next season, if rumors about him being drafted high in MLB are anything to go by.

Sadly we always seem to be a "for the future" type of team, last year the defense sucked, this year the QB situation and the OL looks bad, next year it may be something else (NCAA sanctions??). At this rate we are never going to win any national titles, cause we are never ( and probably will never be) a complete team.

4. grote1947

grote1947 Founding Member

QB's

I stand corrected. I was just thinking we could try at least our backup. Not evrybody thought Flutie was a quarterback.

:D