Question about College Band Music

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TennesseeTiger, Nov 28, 2002.

1. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

I've had something on my mind for a while now.

Everytime I watch a college football game, I get the feeling that there are only two college bands: The LSU Golden Band and the one for the team that LSU plays.

Here's my argument: When LSU makes a defensive stop, the GB plays "Chinese Bandits". When the other team makes a stop, they play the Empire theme from Star Wars. Very original.

When LSU gets a first down, the GB plays "Go Tigers". The song has the feeling of "Charge". When the other team does something offensively, they play some generic song (Florida and Alabama play "Go Gators" and "Go Bama", respectively. Each song is set to the SAME TUNE.

When LSU scores, the GB plays the touchdown song where the crowd spells "T-I-G-E-R-S...TIGERS!!" I'm not sure what the other teams play...probably some type of fight song.

And don't get me started on cheers...Tennessee and Florida each chant "It's great to be a Tennessee Vol" and "It's great to be a Florida Gator". They sound identical.

Anyone else ever thought about the fact that LSU's band stays with original stuff during the games and many other bands use the "college band songbook"?

2. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

I think that you can thank the Guv for that...

Huey Long insisted that the LSU band be unique and be the best band in the country. Along with director Castro Carazo they wrote "Touchdown for LSU". I'm not old enough to remember Huey Long and I'm sure that I would have disagreed with him on plenty of items. However, his contributions to LSU alone make him worthy of praise to all Louisianans and Tiger fans everywhere.

3. WooStLouiee

WooStLouiee Freshman

I am an alumnus and former staff member of the Razorback Marching Band, and though I have never seen LSU's band in person, their reputation is one of excellence and quality. Considered by many of the "folks in the know" as tops in the SEC. You guys have every reason to be extremely proud of that band.

Go Hogs

4. TennesseeTiger

And we get all that for less than Alabama pays for their band...and players!

5. Tiger Trey

I saw the BAMA band for the first time

at last years Independence Bowl. I was geeked at the prospect of seeing the "Million Dollar Band".

Boy, what a letdown !! I was absolutely underwhelmed by their halftime show. I am ashamed to say that IOWA FREAKIN STATE had a better band than our SEC mates from Tuscaloosa. And that's saying a lot after I was ticked upon learning that the Cyclones have stolen our fight song for themselves.

It pains me to say it, but Auburn's band is pretty good. Nothing real special, but they are a BIG band. Ole Miss is pretty dreadful and I can't remember if MSU has a band.

Notre Dame has a unique show, if you can get over the natural hatred of anything to do with the Fightin' Irish !!

I have other band issues, but I'll save them for some other time.

6. TennesseeTiger

Re: I saw the BAMA band for the first time

They use LSU's fight song??? Are you kidding???

7. WooStLouiee

WooStLouiee Freshman

I've heard the bands from Tennessee, Miss. St., South Carolina, Memphis, Alabama, UNLV, Florida, North Carolina, and Oklahoma. By far, Oklahoma had the best band of the bunch IMO. I was very impressed.

Go Hogs

8. Tiger Trey

You are right about OK...

and I apologize for leaving them out. I've spent most of my life cursing Barry Switzer and hating the Okies, but when the Sooners took the field at the Indy bowl in 1999 with their band playing "Oklahoma" it nearly gave me chills. Their band is top drawer.

I've never seen the Razorback band so I can't comment on them.

9. WF TIGER

WF TIGER Founding Member

I hate to admit it

but one of the bands that I was impressed with was Texas A&M, but I still think the Golden Band From Tiger Land is the best.

10. Tiger Trey

The Aggie band does stand out

The War Hymn is especially good.