Question about Powe

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by CParso, Jan 16, 2005.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I looked for the thread about him but couldn't find it. All indications pointed that he was headed to Auburn and he came out and committed to LSU. Was Nick Saban even recruiting him? I read a comment about him really liking what Miles was planning to do here. So, is this Miles' baby? I don't see how Saban could get much credit for this recruit.

2. philter

philter Founding Member

Miles' recruit. I read today that Miles contacted him within 48 hours of getting the job.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

WAHOO! I think Miles has answered our questions about whether he can recruit or not. I think the other players are just waiting for him to officially announce his staff.

Thanks philter.

4. philter

philter Founding Member

Well he's not a solid yet, but Miles did get him to schedule a visit. Says if the visit feels good and he feels 'at home', he'll sign with LSU. Leaving his options open right now. I would not be shocked to see TT put the press on him and get his signature since Powe's been telling everyone he was an Auburn lock.

5. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

He is listed as a "soft verbal," but when it comes down to it, I really do believe he will be a Tiger.He said the reason he became a Tiger was because we were the only ones that have been with him the whole way through. He said he wasn't very happy when Auburn stopped recruiting him when a report surfaced that Powe had an argument with his High School coach...He said LSU and miles in particular never gave up...

I think he will be ours.

6. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I wasnt going to say much more about this commit because I said Saturday that I wasnt jumping up and down about it. However, after the email I got this morning I'm now even less excited about him coming to BR. I understand he is a pure stud and there is no question he can/will be a huge impact player but he has some growing up to do.

His comments about Miles sticking with him were rather strange since Miles was never on him when the incident at his high school took place. :confused:

He supposedly gave this interview last Friday and I got it emailed to me this morning. :confused:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jeffrey Lee
    AuburnSports.com Associate Editor

While the rest of the nation waits for the broadcast of five-star defensive tackle Jerrell Powe's college decision, the 6-foot-3, 352-pounder granted AuburnSports.com an exclusive interview with all of the details of where he plans to sign in February.

Jerrell Powe is the second five-star prospect to commit to the Auburn Tigers.
    Powe is scheduled to announce his commitment on television during the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio, Texas. However, the all-star from Waynesboro (Miss.) Wayne County High has allowed Auburn's Rivals.com subscribers a sneak peak.

"I'm going to commit to Auburn (Saturday) on television," said Powe, ranked as the nation's top defensive tackle prospect and No. 2 overall player in the nation by Rivals.com. "I plan on signing with Auburn. I have had Auburn at the top from the beginning and that is where they are going to stay with me."

Powe chose the Tigers over offers from nearly every top program in the nation. He had narrowed his list down to LSU, Auburn and Ole Miss, but in the end it was the SEC champs he chose.

"It was a tough decision, but in the end I felt more at home at Auburn," said Powe. "I love everything about Auburn. I love the Auburn fans. You can't beat them. I've been up there a lot and I know a bunch of players and a couple of my former teammates (Steve Gandy and Mike McLaughlin) are there. It just feels more at home.

"I'm looking forward to being an Auburn Tiger," he added. "I can't wait to be a part of something like that."

Powe is scheduled to compete in the annual all-star game Saturday. However, injuries and illness limited Powe's practice time during the week which could force him to miss some of the action.

Powe is also expected to be held out of action his freshman season at Auburn due to academics. Powe will be a sign-and-place prospect. He is likely to start his college career at Butler (Kan.) Community College.

Powe is Auburn's 16th commitment for the class of 2005 and second five-star prospect. The Tigers have now landed the top defensive tackle in the nation in Powe, as well as the top outside linebacker in the nation in LaGrange (Ga.) Tray Blackmon

7. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I think he meant LSU, in general, never stopped recruiting him and then Miles stepped in and kept it going hard.

As for you not being excited about this guy because of his "growing up to do."

Buddy, he is 18. We are not talking about a Willie Williams here. I think he has some grade issues and had an issue with his coach, but we aren't talking arrest record here...

8. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I realize all young men 18 years old have a lot of growing up to do but the nature of this young mans vacillating seems more than the norm. The fact is we have very few slots this year. I would rather see us get a sure fire qualifier instead of using one of our precious few schollys on a remote chance at best. His HS school coach said last week he was going JUCO was was preparing for it. When we have a full 25 or more, of course...you take a chance but I disagree that you do when we only have 17 or so to give.

9. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

drc40,
    we can get him as a recruit but that doesn't mean we waste a scholly on him. If Powe goes to juco then LSU doesn't waste a scholly on him. You recruit over you scholly limit knowing that not all will qually. In other words, since Powe will be going to juco, LSU will recruit one more above their available schollies. So they won't be wasting a scholly on him. The thing I wonder about is why does this guy commit to any school knowing that he can't qualify? I guess b/c his mom wanted him to do it and it would get him some attention.

10. Gulf Coast Tige

Gulf Coast Tige Founding Member

He does not have the grades or the ACT score. He got into an argument with his coach after their playoff loss. He started screaming at his coach and he had to be restrained by the deputies that were at the game. This loss was the first in two years for Wayne Co. He is a fine player, I watched him play as a soph and a junior and he dominated the LOS. I hope he matures and gets the grades, but as of right now he is going JUCO.