Question about Tyrus Thomas

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tygertail, Mar 16, 2005.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

are we only supposed to recruit carmelo anthony? some young players arent mature enough to dominate the world yet. is it so hard to imagine a player with raw talent that will improve greatly from a year of practice?

2. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Lots of guys redshirt. Doesn't mean they aren't talented or don't have potential. Collis Temple III redshirted, and he wasn't half-bad by the time he was done. That year on the bench just might make him a better basketball player from watching and learning. Capiche?

I'm guessing that if nothing else, he'll at least be a serviceable role player. Championship caliber teams have to have guys like that, too.

You know, you may not like Brady, but how about trying to show a little support for the guys he has brought in, huh? They're here because they WANT to be here. Nobody is forcing them to stay.

3. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Nobody is saying that. What (I at least) am saying is that nobody should point to our recruiting class apart from Big Baby and say "wow, look at all that talent".

It is a fact that hardly anyone with true skill redshirts in college basketball anymore, and that is a shame brought on by the NBA, but it's still a fact.

I should have worded my post differently. I'm not attacking Brady or his players.

4. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

According to TE and some of his fellow travellers around here, yes, that's all Brady is supposed to recruit. These are the same people who scratch their heads in amazement and gripe about how Dale Brown put all that talent on the floor (CJ, Shaq, Stanley Roberts, etc.) in 1989-90 and yet couldn't win it all. They don't seem to understand the concept of the role player on a championship team.

5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

That's fine. I misunderstood you.

And yes, you're right. On the surface, it doesn't look like last year's class, other than Baby, was all that much. But we had a spectacular class the year before...and time is the great equalizer. We shall see.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i would be ok if every class was the sec freshman of the year and couple role players. especially if some of the freshman progress like bass has.

like gman said, teams are made up of a couple stars and a couple regular solid role players. you cant have 5 lebrons. (ok i will concede that michigan had an awesome fab 5, but most great teams have some regular ordinary joe players playing huge roles.)

it is fine with me if a superjumper like thomas is groomed for a year to take on a solid SEC caliber role player role.

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I think Mich really had a fab 3 (I can name Howard, Rose, and Webber but not the other 2 starters) plus they didn't even win the tournament. After it's been proven that they were paid, my respect for them goes wa---ay down the tubes.

8. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Take the glue away from your nose. That team was awesome. If CWEB wouldn't have called a TO, they would have won. How can you bash on five freshmen starters that go all the way to the final four. I have a feeling that neither of the fab 5 cares about your respect. I think the other two were King and Jackson.

9. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

yea Tyrus can flat out jump i went to high school at MCK with him ..my freshman year and his jr year....i had gym with him and actually played against him...he was always dunkin and doin reverses...but the thing about him was that he had long arms and could shoot the three...i always wondered what happened to him

10. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

:lsup: