question/answer thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by martin, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

How long does it take to go from NYC to NO? I rode overnight trains in Europe. They were awesome. Paris to Florence was one. I love trains but have never ridden one stateside.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

it takes 30 hours.

yunno, regarding europe, the whole reason i started thinking about it is because i was thinking that the cheapest flight to europe (particularly from NY) are via ireland's airline, aer lingus to dublin, and from there you can take a train or bus to a ferry across the irish sea to liverpool and london, then another ferry (cheap) or the eurostar chunnel to paris and eventually to anywhere, for pretty cheap. and i was reading a website of an englishman who loves trains and he rides to everywhere from london for cheap. and he wrote a column on american rail travel, and i thought he would say it was pointless, but he liked it, and rode the lines red and i are talking about. and that got me thinking about taking the train home to BTR via nola. and then i realized i could ride the train back to NY via chicago, and visit a friend, and then i remembered i have another friend in santa fe, and i have never been to los angeles, so i thought it would be cool to just cross the whole country and back.

then i realized i want to get off in el paso and walk to juarez mexico, a city totally ravaged by drug violence, and check that out with burrito and cerveza, the hop right back on 24 hrs later to LA. but like i said, its not a daily, and i would be in a hurry to get everywhere i want to go within the 15 railpass window.

for a liousiana resident, a train to LA then as red described up to seattle would be cool. then back via chicago, then straight don to new orleans again. slow travel. seems fun. i will try to do it over the summer.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

So I have a plasma TV and I have a really thin vertical blue line and a really thin vertical black line on my screen. WTF Over? Do I need to scrap it and get a new one or is it cost effective to get it fixed? Can it be fixed?

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No one works on steam-powered televisions anymore, amigo. Plasmas have always had a burn-in problem. A new huge LCD costs about $7.45.

OK, I exaggerate. But they are really cheap.

5. shane0911

Maybe so but you can't beat the picture quality. ..well if you pay no attention to those 2 lines

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Not under warranty? I have had a plasma and I have had better picture quality since. When did you get this plasma? If I wanted to spend plasma type money I would get a OLED. But waiting because not enough content yet. But some models still upgrade non OLED close to OLED full potential.

7. shane0911

Greek. It came with the living room furniture I bought a few years ago.

8. bhelmLSU

You really need to have someone take a look at it. Could be address card, y board, or display. If display it is done for. Address card would probably cost about $200 and Y would be almost double that. It depends on the model of tv and the location of the lines and if the lines have varying colors or not. Seems to be a consistent issue across all plasma tvs even the new ones. I have had pixels go missing, lines, etc…

9. shane0911

@bhelmLSU one black one blue

And it's a Samsung

10. bhelmLSU

I wouldn't be able to get you an answer on exactly what it is that needs to be replaced. I may be able to help narrow it down but I am not an expert by any means.

First, change your input and make sure it isn't your cable box or dvd player alone causing the problem.

Also just make sure all cables are fully connected.

After that open up the settings menu and see if the lines are under the pop up menu or on top.

If the lines show up on the menu pop up then it is either the video buffers on the panel went bad or the plasma display is done for.