QUESTION APPEARS TO BE ANSWERED

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Purple & Gold, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Dinardo's fall was due to his defense. He had a respectable offense. Everybody was just putting up some big #'s on our defense.

2. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

And I just don't get the feeling we have a poor defense. Probably because we don't have Tepper, but I get the feeling it's more than just that.

3. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

If I remember correctly, Dinardo's defense instantly went bad because he let go of the DC that was providing success on def.

4. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

That's it Tepper. I couldn't remember his name. Wasn't he brought in after a couple of seasons with Dinardo? Wasn't there another DC before him with Dinardo?

5. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Carl Reese, and I think he left on his own to join Mack Brown's staff when he went to Texas.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

In '03, we had no running game to speak of before both Carey and Addai were injured, forcing the hand of the coaching staff to use Vincent and Broussard. The results were, as we know, great--but that wasn't until midway through the season.

The freshmen probably aren't ready yet, but I expect they will be soon.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Why do you dislike it exactly? Seriously.

This is something new that Jimbo is doing and it's good that he tries new tactics and formations. If this formation doesn't work out, he'll drop it. Modern defenses have gotten the I, the pro-set, and the shotgun covered pretty well. Giving them different looks to deal with complicates the DC's job.

Jimbo utilizes the tools that he has. This year we have more capable tight ends than recently and this formation gets them into the game. That's more receivers for the quarterback to find and more blocking for a running game that is underperforming.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Did you even read the linked article that this thread is all about? Sheesh!

9. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Well let's look at it Red

This is the formation I am talking about

TE OT OG C OG OT.......WR
    .............QB.........TE
    ......................FB
    .............RB

Then the WR and FB switch sides afte the team comes to the line every time. What is the point of this? If it is a check and we are wrong everytime, I see a problem with that. Plus the Offense is somwhat limited out of this formation. Especially since our Oline can't run block.

This is more what I think fits the team.

WR................OT OG C OG OT...................................WR
    .............................QB.......................WR

........................RB........RB

OR

WR................OT OG C OG OT...................................WR
    .................TE.........QB.....................WR

............................. RB

I'm no coach, and I'm not claiming to know more than them. To me it just seems logical to make the defenders play the entire field instead of bunching all 11 of our guys on the ball.

We need to force them to play nickle so we can run. Our receivers can handle the extra DB with their speed and size advantages.

Again, I think our passing game will survive no matter what we do. Our guys are just better that 99% of defenses. I think this is the way we open up the running game.

10. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Everytime we run it, the play follows the hopping fullback. Fullback hops left, play goes left. Seriously.

If a hopping fullback is the ingenius offensive tactic needed for excellence, maybe Parcells, Saban, Payton should take note. We'll see how many NFL fullbacks hop down the line next week.