Question for all...please read

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Dixie Darlin, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Dixie Darlin

Dixie Darlin Founding Member

Could someone tell me something about Mike Riley with the Saints. Please only serious replies. I really want some insight if anybody has any. Hes on the list for possible coach at Bama. I don't know a thing about him and was hoping that some of you saints fans could help me out. Please, no jokes or cheap shots. I have had enough of those to last me a life time.

Jean,
    I'd really like to hear from you on this one!

2. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

I don't know much about him, but I will say that local radio is reporting that Riley has told Bama that he is not interested in the job.

Haslett is a great coach in my opinion and that says a lot for Riley.

3. Dixie Darlin

Thanks for the info. I don't believe anything I hear any more. After the past week I take everything radio and newpaper says with a grain of salt. He probably would rather stay in NFL ranks though!

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I heard Dixie, for what it is worth these days that he was interested in the UCLA job (HE seems to be a west coast guy)

Also I think Bama needs to sit back and not make another dubose mistake. It seems to me Bama is trying to get someone fast. Someone in the family. This whole thing sounds like Dubose all over again.

Bama is a great team, I say take some time. This recruiting year is lost anyway. Get a top notch guy that will be there a long time.

But that is just me.

5. Dixie Darlin

Yeah your probably right. We surely do not need another Dubose.
    I think the administration is just thinking if they get someone within the family he won't be so quick to jump ship.

6. RockyMtTiger

RockyMtTiger Founding Member

Mike Riley was the head coach of the San Diego Chargers for three years ('99-'01), with a record of 14-34. Before that, he was at Oregon State, where he had modest success. He also coached in the CFL and the World League. In the early '70s he was a defensive back at Alabama.

Read more here: http://www.chargers-stats.com/coaches/riley.html

7. Dixie Darlin

Thanks for the link RockyMtTiger!

8. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Dixie Darlin: I don't know anything

about Mike Riley.

My advice to Bama would be to lure another up and coming head coach from a program less accomplished than Bama. There's got to be some of them out there.

I don't follow college closely enough to know who all of the up and coming head coaches are.

There must be somebody else out there who is as good as Fran (but with more commitment to Bama.)

Keep us posted. You are going through a tough time right now.

9. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

You never know how a coach is going to turn out. I like torbush. One thing for sure is no one out there can say they didn't know the score coming in.

10. JDog

JDog Freshman

Go with Torbush

My advice to Bama would be to keep Torbush. Unless they want a repeat of the Frannie fiasco, they should not set their sights too high. What big name, or serious young up and commer wants to take on the problems that Bama has right now? (or that's still to come) Torbush is a program guy and they can ride out the next couple of years with him and then LURE someone with the promise of the end of the sanctions. Bama needs to just take their punishment and quit trying to get around it. They tried to get around it with Fran (scheduling UH, etc.) and they found out that he was just using them for himself. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, a couple of years of watching from the outside will not kill their program. HELL, we had a string of seasons watching from the outside and it wasn't even because we got caught cheating and now look where we are headed.