Question for Bama lurkers RE: Recruiting....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBud, Nov 12, 2003.

1. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

For the Bamma fans visiting this board --

How's recruiting going in the "Probation Era"?

Are you guys getting any of the top players in Bamma or is Auburn having its way?

Who are you guys beating out for recruits?

I haven't been following recruiting that much (other than LSU) and it will be interesting to see how Alabama over the next few years. If Bama can get a few key recruits and come off of probation with "some" talent, it shouldn't be that long befofre Bamma is back. However, if recruiting goes as bad as some (read Auburn) are predicting, it could be 5-10 years before Bama becomes a consistant SEC West threat - see LSU basketball, for an example.

2. RollTideDieFran

RollTideDieFran Freshman

if i had to say i wouldnt say Aub was having their way. we have one of the best WR's in the state and another top QB, theres also a lineman who can play bothe ways (O & D) who is ranked highly in the nation who is coming here. other than that i really dont know. if we can just hang in these next couple of years and stay healthy our down time wont be too painful. like now 3-8 sucks but watching the kids play you can see 110%, and thats why we watch to see the kids give it their all, and thats all they can do

3. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

I agree with you RollTideDieFran, from the games I've seen your players are playing their hearts out. I've been very impressed with that part of your team and I think that's what makes you dangerous. The problem is that with Croyle hurting and LSU playing like they have, you guys are going to have a tough time come Saturday.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I think Bama should concentrate primarily on players with strong Tide ties, like Croyle's or Britt's, for the remainder of the probation period. Then, they can still attract quality players, as long as they bleed crimson and white.

5. RollTideDieFran

RollTideDieFran Freshman

yes, stacey i agree, the 2-way lineman i spoke of is Britt's little bro. you have to realize that everyone here is bias one way or the other, thats just how it is. if i as an alabama fan decided to play ball at AU, i would be scared to tell my parents thats for sure. i basically think the kids have their minds made up before the recruiting(talkin abou AU and UA here). i am scared about the next few years though, just hoping it wont be too bad. and school loyalty is also a huge factor stacey... a few years back we lost a RB named Myree(sp?) who went off to pitt and did well there, it would just be nice to have him still here.

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Brandon Miree. He is still doing well at Pitt, I believe.

7. BAMABUI

BAMABUI Freshman

Most of the good players in the state would rather play for a Bama team in rough times than for an Auburn coach who's goal is to co-win the SEC West.

8. BamaBengal

BamaBengal Founding Member

Good post tigerlaw. We lost a top running back right out of our own backyard to UF but things aren't THAT bad recruiting wise. I talked to a Bama supporter here in Atlanta and swears we won't be "back" for 9 years. I'm optimistically thinking 3-4. Next year is when the pain will be felt in terms of recruiting.
    How's it going for y'all? It seems like more top recruits in LA are staying home the last couple of years.

9. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

I think our biggest "problem" areas will come in "numbers". We just lost one of the best running backs in the state to Miami. WHY? Because we are SO deep at the position with Sophomores and Freshmen. With Edwards, Broussard, and ESPECIALLY Vincent all seeing significant playing time (AND ALL DOING EXTREMELY WELL), it's just going to be hard to recruit a TOP "all-american caliber" running back for the next few years.

Same for Quarterback. With JaMarcus Russell and Matt Flynn both redshirting, any incoming QB will be looking at 2-4 years before he sees any playing time.

We're doing suprisingly well at the line positions. We have a good mix of young and older players and Saban has shown that he has no problem playing Freshmen (see Pittman) if he's the best player.

Our biggest weakness during the Saban era in recruiting has been linebacker and cornerbacks. I can't understand the linebacker position. A HS All-American can get significant playing time right off the bat and yet we haven't been able to sign any TOP L.B.ers.

With respect to the DBs, Saban has relied HEAVILY on converted WRs and RBs (they even tried Justin Vincent back there last Spring). It's worked pretty well and I look for Saban to continue this trend.

Saban's WR recruiting has been nothing short of astonishing, especially considering that we are primarily a team that is run first. We have a stable of WRs that would be the envy of ANY team. And, it just seems like we are signing more and more A.A. caliber WRs.

Since I am a firm believer in the notion that you win games in the trenches, I think most of the Tiger Faithful view Saban as the best recruiter we've ever had here at LSU. We've had two "Top 5" classes in four years (#1 or 2 last year) and his other classes were Top 15 caliber. Next years class is shaping up to be another Top 5 class.

I thought we would hit Alabama heavy with Alabama on probation, but that hasn't been the case. Given the enormous talent base in Alabama, I think many fans in the SEC are very concerned that Auburn is going to be a juggernaut over the next few years. In the past, we could count on Auburn and Alabama to "split" the state (with Bama getting a little bit better end of the in-state deal). Now, it's going to be interesting to see how Bama is split up.