Question for LSU students

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by -T-, Mar 30, 2003.

1. -T-

-T- Founding Member

I hear a student government presidential candidate wants to put an American flag in every classroom on campus. Some people oppose the idea because it offends people who don't like the flag(which I find totally ridiculous), but some really like the idea. Some students I know told me about this and I think it would be great. What are you people's opinions?

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Not a bad idea. Even if they are those small ones on wood sticks there should always be a place for the flag in our classrooms. Maybe some teachers would get the class to say the pledge, too. I haven't said that in a while!!

3. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I'm past my student days ( :( ), but I think its fine. I remember always having a flag in every room in grammer school (public). i didn't think it was because the school endorsed any particular party or political idealology. I just correctly assumed it was because the classroom was in the USA and that was our flag. Period.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Nice idea but Fuhgeddaboutit!! The ACLU would be down on the Chancellor like mud on a country hog. It's so nice to have them out there defending the constitution.

5. I'm with Ellis - past being a student.... but think that since we are in USA, the flag should be flown and seen. That's my personal opinion.

In reality, one of two things will happen - the measure will get passed and some group will protest it since they cannot fly their flag, etc. so nothing actually is accomplished, or the administration will quash it over fears of backlash from those who might be offended and nothing will be displayed. Either way, nothing will be different.

6. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Yah he wants a flag in all classrooms and he is running as that as his sole issue. He's just wasting everyone's time. Other canidates are thinking of realistic ways to better LSU and this guy just wants attention.