Question from the Auburn board

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigerdog007, Apr 6, 2004.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Thought I'd post this from the gamecoks Insiders Board

Gamecock Insiders.com

I linked this off of the web so I am not sure if you need a subscription to read it or not, I have one so I couldn't tell. It's an old article about LSU's football history from another teams perspective somewhat.

But it basically said the same thing as several others that I read during my search, that LSU wears white at home due to Tradition as the first jerseys were white and they could find blue trim so they trimmed the jerseys purple and gold due to Mardi Gras, thus the tradition of wearing white jerseys was begun. Not certain if this is fact but several sites said pretty much the same thing.

2. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

My media guide says the first LSU football jerseys

were colored gray, not white. This was before we even had team colors. We got the team colors when the football team decided to buy some ribbon to adorn our gray jerseys. The store was not well stocked, and only Mardi Gras colors were available . . . well, the green ribbon wasn't in stock . . . only purple and gold. The football team bought up all of the store's purple and gold ribbon and that's how we got our colors. The year was 1893.

The story of how we adopted the white jersey seems less settled, but much more recent.

3. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

As one of the "elder statesmen" on this board let me offer this. As I recall from my younger days (high school) the home teams wore white jerseys. You can still see this "tradition" in basketball as many, if not most, home teams wear white. Same in baseball. I don't remember exactly when the NCAA decided (at least in football) that the home teams would wear colored jerseys, but before that edict, the home team had there choice of jersey color (white or colored) and the visiting team had to wear the opposite. I do remember one time we played North Carolina at North Carolina (during Paul Deitzel's time, I think it was) and they had indicated they would wear "Carolina Blue" jerseys so we took our white game jerseys. Come to find out "Carolina Blue" is a very light blue, the game was televised (black and white in those days) and LSU found out about the color problem (light blue vs. white on a black and white TV) the day before the game. So, the night before the game the equipment managers had to go to an atheletic clothing supplier and bought a bunch of purple football jerseys all XXL and had white numbers put on them (apparently didn't have enough time to figure sizes for individual players along with the corresponding numbers). We looked kind of rag tag as you can imagine with wide recievers, Running backs and QB's wearing XXL jerseys. Sorry, I don't recall who won the game, though I think we did. I hope this might add some insight as to why we wear white jerseys at home, It's really nothing more than a tradition that we did not want to deviate from after the NCAA started requiring home teams to wear colored jerseys.

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Jean...We bought purple and gold ribbon and Tulane bought Green and Blue Ribbon...From the same store, from what I understand...

It was an early meeting between LSU and Tulane that set both school's colors for all eternity...

5. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

I know that we wear our white jerseys because they are a tradition and our lucky jersey. I think we also wear the white jerseys at home because it forces opponents to wear their colors and when we travel we can also wear our white jerseys when they wear home colors. I think the LSU white jerseys are a great tradition and I love forcing other team to go reverse while we always get to wear our lucky white.

6. col reb

col reb Founding Member

I like the system that allows the home team to wear white and the visiting team to DISPLAY their colors. Yes, the LSU white is known nation wide. But if you demand they wear purple and the visitor wears white, you take away from the color and pagentry of the college atmosphere. If the home team wears white, you get to see the opposing team in their colors. But it should be flexible. If LSU wants to wear purple, then they should be able to giving the visitors two weeks notice so they know what jerseys to bring. Any other way and you see purple/white every weekend. Just adds a change in my opinion. And I think the NCAA has a heck of a lot more to worry about instead of mandates on the home team jersey. :)

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Actually we don't force them to wear their colors, any team can refuse us. The NCAA gave us permission to wear white if the opponent agress. Vandy I believe is the only team that ever said no.

8. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

I'm not a Reb fan by ANY stretch, but I must admit I like the 3 different jerseys that the Rebs wear, the red, the blue, and the white...

...but I can't remember the last time they wore white...

...any rhyme or reason for when and which colors your boys wear, Col?

9. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

The Ole Miss Rebels look best in their red jerseys and gray pants. I know that the navy blue jersey is traditional, but I like the red better.

10. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

Spurrier made us wear purple once.