Question- If we were playing Kentucky instead of Alabama Tuesday Night

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jeffinbama, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

In my opinion, there would not be a ticket to be had. Instead, we will have about 7 to 9,000 in attendance in a game for what could give LSU the SEC West Title. (Bama has to finish with KY and a revenge game at MSU)

The point I am making is that we have about 7,000 hardcore fans that support our program and are true basketball fans. The other 5000 or so fans that would show up to see us play Kentucky are I guess Kentucky fans. Support to LSU should come no matter who you are playing.

Basketball at LSU unfortunately is nestled between the 4 seasons:

Football Season
    Recruiting Season
    Spring Practice
    Preseason

Always has been and always will be.

2. StarscreamLSU

StarscreamLSU Founding Member

5 seasons - forgot baseball

3. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

i disagree....the fairweathers will be rolling in on Tuesday night...we will have 10k or higher

4. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

the place will be nearly full....its bama and its primetime on espn...doesnt getting any better than that...

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I used to buy into the idea of decrying fairweather fans, but I just can't make sense of that idea anymore.

I guess fans are defined as "fairweather fans" when they only attend games when their team is winning? Well, that could also be called "smart fans." There are so many means of entertainment available these days that it might not make so much sense to spend the time and money going to see a substandard (e.g. losing) product. So, they choose to go when there's a good product available.

I'm sure there are those that say "you should support them whether they're good or not." This is presumably because you happened to go the same school as them? Seems like a fairly tenuous connection.

6. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

Found out an interesting fact.. To "buy" two tickets midcourt for life at UK cost you $250,000 up front. You then have to contribute $10,000 per year as well as the cost of the tickets. Maybe that is why their fans show up to watch UK play the sisters of the poor as well as the top SEC teams.

University of Louisville is $100,000

I would have to guess that Arkansas is not too far behind.

7. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Don't look now, but, John Brady's Tigers are quietly putting together a good season. I am starting to think perhaps Brady is justifying his retention as head coach, but of course, that decision shouldn't be made until the end of the season. I think Bertman needs to look closely at the problem of player departures. As far as fan attendance, although I've laid that at Brady's feet in the past, I'm not so sure that is fair. Where were the fans Saturday? Maybe they need to hire someone to work on PR type stuff to improve attendance. When I attended LSU in the late 70s/early 80s the PMAC was routinely sold out and as good a basketball arena atmosphere as you could find anywhere, and that includes Puke, Univ of No Class, Who-zher U, and Kensucky.

8. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I agree with you 110% I know that financially it's hard for some ppl to justify going to each and every LSU athletic event, but I don't see why we can't fill the arena for SEC BBall on a Saturday. I would think that in an area of the state where around 2-3 million people are less than 3 or 4 hours from BR we could find 15,000 LSU fans who would want to see the game.