Question on cooking gumbo

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by pharpe, Oct 22, 2009.

1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I was really just kidding. I do prefer to make a roux myself over prepared. Even if you use a jar it is just as well when someone adds a little something different. Gumbo's are unique to the individual and it should be that way. If you want to cheat it with sassafras up front and one less a bay leaf, that's unique.

I have made Gumbo up front for 50 before but I did nothing different then I would just for a home pot. I still want it to sit for a day or two before serving, just get creative with your delivery method. I used a covered tote from Home Depot and not a drop hit the truck. I served it out of an electric dutch oven.

I do understand that for a tailgate, things should be different. If you have a generator, I would make it up front.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

First of all, the bacon fat gives it flavor. Then when it starts to turn brown I add some fresh crushed garlic and saute it in the roux. Then I add some Tony Chaceries, a dash of Tabasco and a smidge of Lea & Perrins

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Sounds more like a bloody mary.:hihi:

4. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

But is that really any different than if I added garlic when I saute the seasoning and then added Tony's, Tabasco and Lea & Perrins to the pot when i put the roux in?

5. charlie_c0756

charlie_c0756 Founding Member

Making a superior ROUX is an art. When you turn off that heat and decide it's done, it's always unique. A roux NEVER tastes the same from one dish to the next. Taking or adding a minute in the roux's preparation can change the taste of a dish every time. It ALWAYS depends on how long you cook it. The other factor is the type of pot you use to make the roux. You can use almost any pot, but for the maximum flavor you MUST use a cast iron pot. I own cast iron pots that were passed down through my family for over 100 years. This is NOT an exaggeration. Mine came from my great grandma. They are the HOLY GRAIL of cookware. They're better than nonstick pots due to the care of them. They NEVER see soap, and are cleaned after every use and then lightly rubbed over with a little vegetable oil.

I prefer to make my roux untill it's about 2 seconds from burning. I keep cold water in the sink to touch the bottom of the pot when I remove it from the gas flame. This prevents the 2 seconds it'll take to burn my roux.

And........I always use chicken stock or water and chicken bullion instead of plain water in my gumbo. I NEVER use black pepper in a gumbo either. ONLY red pepper. Believe this or not, but red pepper makes the gumbo easier for the body to digest and tastes better than black pepper.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The only difference is the bacon fat. I'll have to take BBs word that it's better because I'm afraid to try it.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I usually skip the vodka

8. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

It's cooking right now.

5 lbs of chicken thighs
    2 lbs of homemade sausage
    1 lbs of tasso

How long should I simmer it for?

9. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

It's hard to believe that bacon fat could change the flavor that much over pork sausage fat.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

loooove:grin: