Question on cooking gumbo

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by pharpe, Oct 22, 2009.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I love bacon, but have a problem with bacon fat...by the time it cools down enough to drink, it sticks to the back of my throat.:lol:

By the way, your gumbo sounds like it's gonna be fine. The longer yo cook it, the less the gumbo tastes like roux...so cook it as long as you like. My only warning is if you're going to cool it down to store it, cool it down in an ice bath because gumbos sour if they're kept between 40 degrees and 140 degrees too long (the danger zone). Another cooling technique is to freeze water in a plastic jug or container and place that in the gumbo as it sits in the ice bath.

If anyone gets sick...blame it on the swine flu...just kidding it'll be fine.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Probably just as good. I have never collected enough pork sausage fat to use it.

95% of the time when I make gumbo it is seafood gumbo. I use shrimp stock for that and when I make chicken and sausage gumo I use chicken stock

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Call me lazy . . . or call me practical. If I could make it better, I would.

I like me some French bread, too. But I don't have to plant a field of wheat, harvest it, mill it into flour, make dough, and bake it. Not when I can buy some fine French bread at the local bakery from a professional who is better that I could dream to be.

4. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Just to let you know it came out great.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

We all knew it would.:thumb:

6. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Good thread, gave me some new things to try. I ALWAYS make my own roux. Why not, it takes me 20-30 min., I have a glass of wine while making it, and its part of the process. I enjoy the process, so I keep making it.

7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Lazy