Question?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dallastigers, Oct 12, 2003.

1. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

It is always hard to tell what kind of coverage people are playing when watching the game on TV. It seemed like Florida was dropping 7 or 8 on coverage a lot and really protecting the middle of the field with 2 or 3 deep zone coverage depending on down and distance. Is this true?
    We never seemed to adjust to this. Mauck seemed to be very hesitate to throw into that kind of coverage. When he threw he locked onto his guy which just lets those safeties get a good jump particularly with the fact that Mauck does not have a strong arm. Our receivers can beat man, but they did not seem to do a good job of finding soft spots in zone nor did Mauck.

Florida on offense opened up with a great plan against our defense which thought it was going to harass and confuse a freshman QB. No huddle giving the QB time to get his audible from the sideline each time. It took us about a quarter and a half to adjust to that, but we never adjusted on offense. I also think we get away from the run to early and the defense does not have to respect play fakes.

2. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

i don't think we got away from the run too early considering we were still running the ball w/ 8 minutes left in the game....and we ran an option on 4th and 1 ::sigh::....still wondering about that call

but we will be okay the sun did rise today and we still have lots of talent and still in the top 10

3. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I know we still ran the ball some, but looking at LSUSPORTS.net play by play summary and counting sacks as a pass play(and not counting the No Plays) we had 6 pass plays 9 run plays in first quarter. Second quarter we already go to 9 pass plays 4 run plays. Third quarter we had 10 pass plays and 3 run plays.
    I know penalties and situation play a part, but we do seem to get away from the run when it does not work right away or even get into some 1st and 2nd and long.
    I can remember the MSU game last year when we did this, and I think Saban finally got involved late in the first half and said we are going to run the ball. I think they ran the ball every time the next drive and scored. We went on to put them away in the second half. MSU is not Florida of course but run defense had been a weakness for Florida this year, and I think we would eventually have gotten our run game going had we just stuck to it.

4. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

Is it me or do our RB's line up deeper in the back field than our opponents? Is this an advantage or disadvantage?