Questionable clock management

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 13, 2007.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I think Les had made all the right moves this season, including trying that 57 yard FG.

But did anyone else think that we should have stopped the clock with about 10 seconds and tried to complete a 10-15 yard pass and then try a shorter FG? I was dissappointed we weren't clever enough to do just that.

Worst case, Kentucky tries a hail mary from their own 40.

1 person likes this.
  2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I thought we did pretty good managing the clock. Any complaints would be nitpicking. There are plenty of other areas to blame.

3. westtxtiger

westtxtiger Founding Member

i am glad someone shared the exact same thing i was thinking. we can't make one from 40, so why not try to get closer. most we had to lose was defending a hail mary with 2 seconds left.

4. tigerdro

tigerdro GEAUX TIGERS!

i dunno....i think it was the right call at the time (hindsight...20/20...). colt david had the distance, and almost had the aim. if he had made it, W for LSU. everyone loved it when CLM went for all those 4th down last week and made it, but this week he takes a risk on a long field goal and everyone calls the risk take a bad decision. knowing what we know now about what those 4th down did for us last week, would they have been bad decisions if we hadn't made them? i say no. i say they, like the long field goal tonight, were the right decisions for the game at that moment.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

there ya go....

and i don't agree its nitpicking....and I didn't come up with this in hindsight, I called for this when there was 25 seconds on the clock and counting.

I was happy to see Coach give David a shot at redeeming himself for last week. Coach Miles is a winner.

6. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

i thought the FG was the right call. David has the range but lacks the aim

7. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Who would have thought he had the leg for a 57 yarder? Not me, but Miles knew he could do it. Miles made the right call.

8. jt14den

jt14den Freshman

The commentators on CBS also commented about the lack of urgency LSU was exhibiting on that final drive. Don't know why we passed it to Scott for 1yrd on 3rd & 10 either. If we would have had a slant or an out called Colt might have had a legit chance.

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Miles made the call, casted a vote of support in a struggling kicker, and it almost paid off. Our receivers were dropping balls left and right and our qb was off target all game, which is why we were resorting to dinky screens and a variety of running plays. I liked this call from Miles.

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Yep, I was wondering the same thing. Glad to see that David had the leg for a monster FG, but there would have been no harm in showing just a tad bit of urgency. There's a world of difference between a 57 yarder and a 45 yarder. There was more than enough time to milk between two and four extra plays. And like you said, this isn't hindsight. It was painfully obvious during the game.