Questions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

LSU has played Texas A&M fairly regularly over the years including when R.C. slocum was their head coach. What is your opinion of Slocum as a coach? Is Texas A&M better off under Franchione?

2. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Slocum was good at A&M but Fran was quite an upgrade, IMO

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Slocum lost his effectiveness towards the end of his tenure. He was great for the program overall, but really slipped. That's evident from their declining record, struggles in bowl games, and bad bad bad recruiting. Franchione seems to be a massive upgrade, which is already showing (5-6 was realistic last year.) Tough competing w/ OU and UT, but no tears here from the SEC West!

4. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

LSU hasn't played eATMe in over 10 years or so.

Slocum was a SWC coach to the tee....very heavy on running the ball and a great defense. he was very successful in the SWC and the first year or two of the Big 12. His reluctancy to throw the ball was his downfall. How he recruited Reggie McNeil there is a mystery to me.

Fran is still a question mark, but plays more of an upbeat style of ball then Slocum did. Fran has been successful everywhere he has been including Bama...we will see.

5. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Franchione is a master at turning around programs real fast...so I would say he is quite an upgrade.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Slocum had a couple of big problems at aTm I think. First, he didn't bring in a good OC and let him have the controls. If they got behind in a game it was joke watching them try to play catch up.

Second, they did a poor job of evaluating QB's and did not bring in good ones. When the guy from Tenn. transfered there they actually pulled to offers from guys that may have been better.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I think the jury is also still out on Fran. Time will tell, but remember that Slocum never lost 77-0 to anyone while he was at A & M.

8. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

On the field Fran is a pretty good coach, since he has gotten there A&M has had several players arrested some because of Drugs. Not saying he runs a bad program BUT just last month another A&M player was arrested. Also the man is a pompous ass, nothing wrong with that. But what he did to Alabama was classless. Not even saying goodbye to his team and all the sunshine he pumped. I know Saban pumped Sunshine to us as well, but at least he had the decency to talk to his team first and his departure was done with as much class as possible.

In short, I think he will be for A&M but as a person I cannot think of a less desirable coach then him.

9. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Slocum also left A&M in pathetic shape when he left leaving Fran with quite little.

People SAY that A&M had talent but I sure didnt see it in 2003. Their team looked out-matched in size and speed on every side of the ball.

10. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

I believe the number was around 9 arrests during the last offseason. Whether or not Fran can get that under control remains to be seen. UT is loaded and with the exception of Baylor, all of his divisional games are tough.
    Fran's got a lot of work to do.

As for RC, what can you say, he's a good aggy. :wink: