Questions

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by lsu-i-like, Aug 10, 2006.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Are there too many people in the world? Does the world benefit from the large mass of people living in poverty? Even if every person living with conveniencies gave them up, would we have the resources to raise the standard of living of the impoverished people of the world?

Should Africa be colonized (politically correct or not), could a profit be turned in the large areas of turmoil? Could Africa be a large producer of agriculture? Natural resources? Something else? The world has become much more civilized as time has passed, maybe a new colinization of Africa would be of benefit not only to the colonizers but to the people of the region. South Africa seems to be doing pretty well. Is this what we are doing in Iraq?

Are "we" a national people or a worldwide people?

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

no

no

we already have plenty of resources, the problem is bad political situations.

no

i have no clue

no clue

africans should figure out their own problems, and we should leave them alone. however, we should have less protectionist trade policies so they have a fair chance at our markets.

don't know. man, this is a lot of questions.

dont understand the point of the question.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I think we should exterminate anyone different from me.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

i agree, i think we should exterminate anyone different than sabanfan.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." -- Pogo

6. lsu-i-like

Bad political situations form becuase there is a power vaccuum. There is a power vaccuum because capitalism's interest in the African continent is very small. Why are the United Nations trying to enforce the states that exist today around the nation? Who set up those states? Are today's states the most stable configuration possible? It seems to me that Africa is a pretty big cluster f; considering its potential, with the right direction couldn't it be much more productive? Maybe South Africa could expand and raise the standard of living. But I guess if we can't absorb Mexico and be better for it, the expansion of South Africa doesn't seem realisitic either.

I wonder if the world will ever truly become global. In some ways, it is approaching that today, but in other ways we seem as far from a global civilization as ever.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

All natural systems seek equilibrium. Oceans establish a sea level. Mountains erode into plains over time. Nature establishes a balance between carnivores and their prey or extinctions result.

Overpopulation of any animal species, including humans, eventually result in natural population controls. Famine, plague, and pestilence cause plummeting populations in response. In humans, war and pollution have been added to the naturally occurring population controls.

The bigger China and India grow, the more likely that they will engage in a war of attrition with some enemy because they can withstand the casualties and the resulting famine and plague better than most of their enemies. Both would be far better off with smaller populations. The next World War will likely be fought mostly in Asia.

8. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Or at WalMart.:hihi:

9. homertiger

homertiger Founding Member

Yes! How do I know? Because someone actually started a thread about the colonization of Africa.:)

10. lsu-i-like

That's nice. Why are you so afraid of an idea? I am aware that colonization of Africa has been tried before and it hasn't worked for some reason. Maybe it is a little like Russia, too vast and treacherous. Also, Islam seems to have taken hold of many north African countries, placing a barrier between Europe and Africa. The US is across the ocean and would most likely be more secure expanding into Mexico. Would Mexico or the US want this, though? Colonization doesn't have to be oppressive, and in the case of democratic capitalism, like that of the US, it might benefit the region, continent, and world (at least financially). What if the world became one big nation under the US? Would there be less conflict?

I suppose in a way, our culture has spread to much of the world, but there is much contempt for us because of our richness and much of the rest of the world's poverty. I think we are also resented because we are seen as wasteful, arrogant, and uncompassionate. I'm sure some of that is accurate, and alot of it is fueled by ignorance. I use to hate Russians because I was brought up in a culture that demonized Russians. I think alot of people around the world are brought up feeling that way about Americans. It isn't right, but does that mean we need to kill every ignorant soul? What are our alternatives? As a country, we do make some effort of helping the less fortunate. Is it enough? Does it just make matters worse like welfare in our country?

I don't look for answers to these questions. I think your sarcastic and sometimes vitriolic responses are funny and interesting. I've realized that I don't have the time to get into big debates on here about vast and complex topics because there are other things I want to spend my energy on. It is all intriguing, though. I should probably start a diary. =)