Questions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUpride123, Oct 26, 2009.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

“Sometimes he went the right way and sometimes he didn’t. But I’ll tell you what, when he goes the right way, he hits you even if he doesn’t mean to hit you.

“He’s 280 pounds and he’ll hit you.”

— Miles on freshman fullback Dominique Allen, who made his first career start.

From the BR paper I read online.

I wasn't at the game, but is this kid good? Sounds like he slipped up some, but made up for it. Was he in on the Shepard TD?

Do you think FB is our run problem? Or is a fast back the answer?

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

He had some very nice blocks especially in pass protection. We were not in the power formation when Shep ran for the TD. Our problem has been a mixture of all elements: OL, Quinn gone, teams stacking the box and making JJ beat them, and the RBs finding the holes.

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Shepard seemed to find it huh.:wave:

4. bhelmLSU

Yes he found a big one finally and that comes with the number of touches which should steadily increase over the year.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

With a good solid blocking fullback a lot of opportunities open up.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

did you see the size of that hole? None of the other backs would have gotten through that hole except for Trindon. That wasn't really a hole either it was more like the space behind your fridge. Shep just made it happen. Great play by him, and it makes me wonder if he should be the feature back, not because of his yards per carry or anything, but because our O Line cannot make huge holes and when they make holes they can't hold them for long, we need to use the little guy back there more.

But even saying that, we can be effective with the run game, our backs are all averaging at least 4 yards a carry, Shep is averaging 7.7, Murphy was averaging 5.1, Keiland 4.6, Scott 4.4, Holliday 4.1. Jefferson is averaging 1.9 but sacks go against his running stats so that is very misleading. I love the fact that the 5 wide formation got alot of people involved and we used it successfully, but i have a bad feeling that that formation is going to bite us in the ass like it did against UF.

7. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I'm with you. Calling that space that Shep ran through a "hole" is generous. He just made a play, and when you have a guy that can turn a tiny space like that into a big play, you absolutely have to give him the ball more.

8. bhelmLSU

Might have been slightly generous but I call any hole with each player holding their man straight up a big hole. The last LB collapsed the hole right after Shep went through. Very nice blocking on that play.

FYI, Scott and Williams need to make themselves fit in these type of holes if they want to get anything going this year because this is about the best you are going to get unless there is a complete collapse of the defense.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw1b9LAO5Ig[/media]

9. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

ha i was just about to post the same thing. you could really see it when they showed the replay from the end zone camera where shep is running right at you.

the walls were closing in and only he and trindon probably coulda fit thru there.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

How big do you suppose a hole has to be? They are just wide enough to run through and they are only there for a second. Shepard ran through untouched. Sorry, as holes go, this was perfectly executed.