Questions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUpride123, Oct 26, 2009.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

It only has to be big enough to fit through, which it was. But if you watch from the endzone angle, you see him jump and turn his body to fit through. All I'm saying is that Russell Shepard made a play where other, lesser talents would not have had the room to.

2. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I prefer the tight ones.

2 people like this.
  3. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I don't see RS as a feature back this year, but a set amount of plays are a great thing, because he is lightning in a bottle. I am hoping he puts on about 10-15 more pounds and learns to take SEC tackles, he worries me with some of the hits he has taken.

The thing with Scott is he would have hit that hole solid, more than likely tackled in the process, KW might have made that hole, Trindon would have tried to break it outside and got arm tackled.

I have always had a problem with Track players playing football, they usualy just are not that good, yes they make some great open field runs, with thier speed. But a football player like RS is a special thing.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

There was a cut upfield but no jump. Shep made a great play but other RBs with bigger bodies can do the same in smaller holes and need to have success. Can't ask for better execution on the blocking.

If someone like Scott or Keiland went through the same hole he would just have to break arm tackles from around the defenders because we had LSU bodies directly in front of each defender.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

that's the point though, those holes wouldn't have been there by the time kei or scott would have gotten there. scott would have lowered his head and bulldozed the people in front, kei would have tried to kick it outside.

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

That's not the point.

We have not had many holes like that this year at all and the Scott and Williams are not seeing the ones that are there. They could have fit through that hole however and need to, that is the point.

7. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Fair enough. I only saw it in the replay they showed during the game, and I could have sworn he actually left his feet. Maybe it was just the cut I'm thinking of.

I'm not so sure they would have made it, but there is no way to know for sure. That hole was collapsing quickly, and I don't think either of those other guys would have hit it quickly enough. But hey, I could be wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time...or last.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

:huh:

there is no way in hell scott would have fit through that hole. i wouldn't have been able to fit through that hole. that was a play made by 10 not the line. I'm not buying that Charles Scott and Keiland Williams have just forgotten how to run the ball. Scott is having to work for every yard. Williams has only been effective abandoning the inside and kicking it out.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Many of the inside plays are zone blocked and the back has to select where the hole develops and hit it. But the play in question was specific blocking to open a specific hole. We ran it several times with both backs. When the hole was there Williams ran for 9 or 10 yards and Shepard's speed took him past the coverage. three guys had an angle on him but he outran them all.

But both backs were dropped for no gain when the hole wasn't there.

10. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

IMO, I believe we are in a defensive upswing in the SEC. On average defenses are playing much better this year in the SEC against the run. Holes just are not there against most SEC defenses for that long. Especially in power formations

I also think speedy fast players like RS, Demps of Florida, Mcluster of OM are going to be a trend, people that can hit the hole really fast, and break it outside.

Something I would like to see, is Scott run the Wild cat, with RS and Trindon split to each side, that gives you power and speed. Or maybe KW in there with Trindon out at Wide out for reverse. There are so many formations we could be putting together with our talent to keep defenses guessing. Case in point RS at Tail back last night went very well.

Each week give a team a different line up, run different plays, our offense should really be giving Defenses some new looks each week.