Quit blaming...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Blue TurboDog

Blue TurboDog GeauxTigersGo

Glad to see most people see this too. I'd take Gonzales or Ensminger calling the plays the rest of the season, and feel better, honestly.

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I'm not sure how much good that would do aside from giving Gonzales some experience. Our QBs just can't execute, and our OL is undersized and very limited. It's one of the reasons I suspect Miles has insisted on establishing some kind of running game since Crowton's spread garbage (I wouldn't even call it a real offense) is rendered useless by his inability to develop QBs.

3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I'm agreeing with you entirely too much today, and I don't even live in the same hemposphere as you.

4. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

I don't know that JL and JJ are bad QBs at all. I think you are wrong that they can't execute. As this saga unfolds, I beginning to think the problem could very well be they don't get the right signals from the sideline to execute. I mean ... when you don't know what the "blank" the guy on the sideline wants from you, it's kinda hard to execute anything. Throw on top of that the plays that are called are the wrong play for the situation. Hell, I could have taken 20 plays yesterday and scorched AU. [12 pass plays and 8 run plays]. Look at Cam Newton ... they run those same two running plays over and over again with success. They proved yesterday that the number of plays you execute on the field is irrelevant. A few good plays is enough to keep the D guessing, and having fewer plays to perfect makes for better execution.

How much better could have JJ and JL played yesterday if they'd run plays that developed faster, or had the O-line been able to hold off the D long enough to let the called plays develop??

I'm through bashing our QBs. .. even JJ. Heck .. I feel sorry for the poor guys for having to play under such ineptitude.

5. Blue TurboDog

dropped passes are going to happen, same with bad throws, but in the end for the last two seasons (in fairness I'll give him a pass for 08) these questions must be asked:

Is he consistently calling plays that put the players in situations to be successful?

Is he using the talent at his disposable properly?

Has he done anything to aid in the development of either one of these quarterbacks?

his track is proof I am right...Miles did not get his clock mgmt rep, until Crowton arrived on the scene either. The confusion on the 4th down after the time out, has Crowton written all over it. You get the feeling Miles is just trying to survive this season with him.

6. lsudolemite

I think there's hope for Lee. Jefferson has simply never outgrown the limitations that have been on display for 2 years. As awful as Crowton's QB coaching and game planning is, he can't magically give Jefferson accuracy in the passing game, or give him leadership ability, or give him that internal clock telling him to get rid of the ball. His release is just too slow and it's not going to change. A new OC could make him marginally better, but at this point in his college career, we've seen the ceiling.

7. Blue TurboDog

Most of JJ's problems are in his head. We've seen him play MUCH better, and he worked hard all summer only to regress once he got back under Crowton's wing. Crowton has tried to shoe horn him in to what he wanted (pocket passer/option), instead of building play calling to his strength's like Jimbo used to do. Jimbo used to call a succession of play to get his QB confident and rolling. Lee will be playing on Sunday one day, and we will all realize we wasted his career here.

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

One of my customers who has ties to an LSU staffer said that:

-Crowton is not being allowed to run the spread type Offense he's used to running...like he ran at La Tech.

-Sometimes, Miles overrules Crowton's play calling from the field.

It's nothing we haven't heard before or anything, but this guy believes that Crowton is a better coach than everyone thinks.

Personally, I have no idea what to think....I do think I'll have another drink. :yelwink2:

9. Blue TurboDog

I hear ya on the drink! Either way its apparent then that he is not a fit.

10. lsudolemite

You can't run the spread when your QBs are head cases, and he is definitely responsible for that. Crowton has the appearance of being a decent coach when he a) has an experienced QB developed by other coaches and b) DCs haven't seen his playcalling yet. Both of those things disappear after year 1, and there is no adjustment.

Miles is stepping in because his QBs are inconsistent and unreliable. And in the spread, where everything runs through the QB, that offense is suicide. If Les is cramping his style, it's for good reason.