Quit blaming...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Oct 24, 2010.

1. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

this is true. .. but we'd need help to do it.

We'd have to win out, and AU would have to lose two. .... OR .... Bama beats AU and they fall more than 5 places below LSU in the ranking. If LSU finds itself ranked number 3, and AU falls to 9, we win.

I don't think the "powers that be" will let that happen. AU is the chosen child right now, and if it comes down to it, they will ensure that AU is placed within 5 places of LSU to ensure that AU wins the head to head tie breaker.

BUT .. it's always possible ... and we can't count out GA!

2. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I don't disagree with GC needs to go, and that it won't happen right now. What I am having trouble with is that in this particular game so few are looking at what doomed us. Every short coming with the O can be traced to WR drops. There were 7 drops in this game, 3 of which were game changers. My concern is wtf is Billy G doing, he was brought in to fix this, and nobody is discussing this. We are all so consumed with GC and Miles taking the blame for everything we are not willing to look at other issues. Not saying that GC isn't at fault, but in this game it was the WR's who carry the brunt of the blame. JJ maynot throw pretty, but on at least 5 of the 7 drops an elite receiver is making those catchs. AU's receivers were and that is where we fell short in all of our O gameplanning.

3. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

I agree with this. I also think some of the issue is the type of plays LSU runs. I think those constantly short passing plays, even on 3rd down, is causing the LSU WR's to be overly concerned with having to try and make a play after they catch the ball.

On 3rd and 7, throwing the ball 4 yards, puts more pressure on the WR that not only does he have to catch the ball but he also HAS to make a play after it just to get the 1st down. I think some of our drop issues can be solved if we put the WR's in a position where they ONLY need to catch the ball and fall down to move the chains.

4. LEGACY TIGER

Not to sound as though the O playcalling or the QB's aren't partially to blame, but that is BS. These are big physical kids, who are supposed to be 4-5 Star talents. If they are worried about having to use a little bit of their physical gifts to pound out 2-3 extra yds then they aren't what we think they are. I'd also point to the different in down field blocking that AU receivers were doing that our WR's weren't. AU receivers made circus catches, made down field blocks, and used their physical abilities to move the chains. Our WR's did not.

These are basic skill sets and basic coaching techniques. I can't phatom that our coaches aren't teaching these kids these skill techniques, just that they didn't perform how they are coached. Yes that lies on the coaches, but it is more the drive of the player. You want to play, get out there and perform how you are coached.

5. LEGACY TIGER

I would add that these weren't the passes the kids were dropping, it was the longer stuff, for the most part. The O was moving the ball when we were stuffing JJ and Ridley down their throats and leaving short dump off passes to move the chains and eat up the clock. It was when we started to try and use the pass game for 10+ yd plays that it stopped working.

JJ and Ridley were picking up 6-8 yds per their 2 carries, leaving 4-2 yd pass plays to pickup the rest. That was working and what kept the game close in the 1st half. We went away from that in the 2nd half, and shouldn't have.

6. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

You make an excellent point here. I've noticed a number of times this year that on a 3rd down pass play, the catches are well short of the 1st down marker. Is this an issue of the WR's not paying attention to where they are relative to their route, or flat out running the route incorrectly? Is it that the QB is throwing the ball too short?

This is frustrating, in that why aren't the receivers closer to the 1st down marker when the ball is caught. You're right -- why not put them in a position where all have to do is fall down to move the chains.

:geauxtige

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

even the jet sweep around the end with Shepard worked, and we never saw it again. I am really confused as to why we seem to always abandon what works and stick with what doesn't in game time situations. It seems like there is never any adjustments.

8. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

I think you're confused. I didn't mean it to sound like they were worried about having to make a few extra yards after the catch. I meant that they were thinking about the extra yards before they catch the ball and that is what is messing up their focus.

I offered the suggestion that instead of putting them into a position where they not only had to make a GREAT catch AND make a big play to move the chains; that they could call plays where our WR's are beyond the 1st down marker and only have to worry about making a great catch, to move the chains, and anything extra isn't necessary but wanted.

9. Blue TurboDog

Blue TurboDog GeauxTigersGo

That's my biggest complaint as well. For all of those who want to nitpick... I bring this link back:

LSU Fans Will Suffer Because of Gary Crowton | Picklewagon

I think it is obvious where all our problems lay...

10. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

I am for cleaning house! Our University is too special to have these clowns at the helm. Bring us back a discplinary coach. Someone who will instill pride and performance back into our program. I'd be for keeping our Defensive staff but HC and Offense has to go.:angryfire